cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SNR Margin is too HIGH - how can I force to reset to a more sensible figure?

PPML
Dabbler

My SNR Margin is too HIGH - how can I force to reset to a more sensible figure?

Ok here goes.  Been all over the web and learned a lot about DLM and how quickly it can retrain etc. but still do not feel I am getting where I need to be.  Key points:-
• I did have an issue causing my connection to drop every time the phone was used.  It coincided with fitting a SamKnows box, but removing that did not fix it - was probably a poorly seated connection moved at the time that was installed
• But in resolving this issue, I have decided to move my modem all the way to the NTE5 and install an interstitial ADSL adaptor - no more when I call up can support say "please disconnect all wiring and go back to your NTE5" - "already there bud!!"
• I have removed the bell wire too for good measure.
• But despite all this judicious work, my IP Profile stays stubbornly at 5Mbps.  I used to get a profile of 7.15Mbps.
• My SNR Margin is 15-18 dB.  Never falls below 14.5 day and night.  I assume it has been set in negotiation with the exchange to stay at 15.
• I estimate that if the SNR was set to 6dB I'd just about get back to 7.15 Profile.
• But my max connection speed is now 6700.  It used to be well over 8000 (hence the old 7.15 Profile).  And that was BEFORE I removed al the house wiring from the equation.
• I don't have the before readings to compare but I am confident that re-wiring has NOT made anything worse; I just don't see the improvement I should be.
I am 1km from the exchange - the attenuation and noise margin are consistent with that.  Due to both good figures I have requested removal of interleaving as this carried some overhead.  I am not clear if this comes off automatically, or if I need to reboot my modem to get that enabled.  Given it takes 1-5 days, I don't know if or when I should reboot, other than wait 5 days of course.  I also have no way to measuring of interleaving has been removed.
So, how on earth do I get the SNR margin to go back to 6dB which seems to be the accepted "correct" target figure for a clean connection.
Can I get the DLM reset?  How long do I wait before raising an issue?  I have a TP-Link TD-8817.
Two lots of stats attached.  One is from October 2011 – then my raw connection was 8132, now its 6432
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: My SNR Margin is too HIGH - how can I force to reset to a more sensible figure?

duplicate post removed
You didn't attach any stats but that isn't relevant
When the staff come on here in the morning they will be able to look at your line stability then set up a retrain if it looks OK
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: My SNR Margin is too HIGH - how can I force to reset to a more sensible figure?

you options are to wait for 10 days and see if it improves automatically, if theres no automatic improvement despite a stable connection for the entire duration then you could unplug the router and wait 20 mins to reconnect (apparently this can trigger the DLM to unstick) and then if all of that fails raise a support ticket to get it reset.
as for choosing interleaved or fastpath IIRC most ISP's tend to leave that on auto by default, so many dc's in so many hours = interleaved turned on, stable forever = switched to fastpath ..... the only difference is if you play fps games online you might change your ping rate by 10 ms (which isn't even noticeable) other than that interleaved Is actually better for lines which have error's on because it eliminates the problems of dropped packets meaning that for that extra 10ms delay you save yourself from constant dc's ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PPML
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
duplicate post removed
You didn't attach any stats but that isn't relevant
When the staff come on here in the morning they will be able to look at your line stability then set up a retrain if it looks OK

Thanks - it wasn't posting at all - at least I guess it was, but looked like it wasn't.  In that process the attachments were dropped I guess.
PPML
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim

Just so they know:-  from 18th July there will be multiple resets recorded (on every phone call).  No connection at all from 29th July to 22nd August as I had turned it off on holiday.  Then multiple resets due to phone calls again until Friday 13th.  On Friday 13th several outages while I moved everything around.  On Saturday a couple of outages and then 2 or 3 in quick succession in the evening due to power cuts, doh!!).  One switch off early today as I couldn't help but give it a try and finally since then I have left it alone.  Ok, I can hear the screams from here - "No wonder DLM has forced your speed down, you are lucky your are getting a profile as high as 5000!"  Fair point, but I'd like it start working its way up again now and at present it seems resolutely set at 5000.
PPML
Dabbler

Quote from: nanotm

as for choosing interleaved or fastpath IIRC most ISP's tend to leave that on auto by default, so many dc's in so many hours = interleaved turned on, stable forever = switched to fastpath ..... the only difference is if you play fps games online you might change your ping rate by 10 ms (which isn't even noticeable) other than that interleaved Is actually better for lines which have error's on because it eliminates the problems of dropped packets meaning that for that extra 10ms delay you save yourself from constant dc's ....

I am aware of this general recommendation, but I know that interleaving has an overheard on bandwidth and IF you have a clean enough circuit, removing it will improve download speed as well as latency.  I don't play games, although my son does and complains of slow response.  Although I will choose what suits my usage of the line before his.  I am just hoping we might both be happy and feel its worth a try at least.
PPML
Dabbler

PPML
Dabbler

PPML
Dabbler

30 mins of SNR margin attached.  Will leave running overnight and see how we go.
PPML
Dabbler

Some overnight figures for noise margin.  The PC went into standby at about 2AM, accounting for the loss of signal record at that point - I do not believe that to be a genuine signal loss. I am not sure what happened at 00:41 and 00:42 - whether that is a genuine signal loss or not.  I did switch off another PC on the network at that time, so perhaps the router stopped reporting momentarily.  If there was no corresponding loss at the exchange, then I would assume it was a monitoring failure as the noise margin is otherwise very consistent.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ask for a line reset and 10 day retraining.
You will soon find out whether your line has an issue negotiating a sensible SNR with the exchange.
Officially you should use the Faults Troubleshooter,  but if you ask in this thread then one of the staff on this forum might oblige.
PPML
Dabbler

Thanks - that's what I am hoping for.  The clean up on the equipment connection is not far off having an engineer fix, so it makes sense to start with a clean sheet.  I can't do better from my end now.
adie:quote
PPML
Dabbler

Quote from: purleigh
Ask for a line reset and 10 day retraining.
..... if you ask in this thread then one of the staff on this forum might oblige.

Chaps - could you reset me for line retraining please?
I have done all the wiring and checking and switching off and on that I plan to now (last power down just done at 2:30pm) - it's all tickedy boo as far as I am concerned, so ripe for a retrain.  Cheers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Plusnet will want to see that the line is stable for at least 48 hours before asking for a retrain so I suggest waiting for a bit
PPML
Dabbler

Ok thanks - time to be patient and find something else to do...........
Great pics of Old Harry by the way - yours?  Not seen any quite as nice and not a view us land lubbers get to see.