Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Router will not activate and connect to the internet

deejayburnout
Grafter

My Router will not activate and connect to the internet

Peeps
I am a new customer to plusnet and yesterday evening I got my email that says my broadband has been activated ( yippee). I plugged in  my plusnet supplied router and I got all the lights on. From left to right, the first 3 are green and the 4 light is red.
I followed the instruction booklet and reset my router and waited 15mins. still no luck. I left it for the night and tried again this morning before I came to work and still no luck. I factory reset the router a few time last night, waiting 15mins before retrying and no luck either.
according to home > broadband connection > internet services > internet
it says
LInk Status - disconnected
Last error message - could not bring up link.
my username is entered as username@plusdsl.net and my password is correct.
I have check the line as my phone is plugged into it and nice and clear. tried the 2 micro filters and no change with either.
can anyone advise what to do next.
14 REPLIES 14
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: My Router will not activate and connect to the internet

Hi deejayburnout,
I've changed some settings on your account and you should now be able to connect. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Try logging back in to the router. Let us know if you have any problems at all.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Brilliant thanks.
I will call my wife and get her to check.
jim:quote
deejayburnout
Grafter

Spoke to my wife and over the phone we have tried a few things and its still not connecting.
We have tried factory resetting the router, checking the username and password is correct and done the reset router and wait 15 mins thing a few times and still no luck.
Anthing else we can try
Sad Sad Sad Sad
PS.
@Oldjim - sorry about the quoting post. will not happen again.  Roll_eyes
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Does the router indicate that DSL has been established?  This needs to happen before the user name and password are used.
If no synch speed is being reported, then user name and password are not the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi deejayburnout,
I'm really sorry that you've been unable to connect. I've taken a look at the order which appears to have completed correctly. Unfortunately when the order was placed, it looks as though the REALM wasn't set correctly which needs amending. Further to that, your profile set on our suppliers side was also set incorrectly - feedback has been sent on the agent in question as this shouldn't have happened.
I've placed a modify order to include the correct REALM (PLUSDSL.NET) so that you will be able to connect. As part of this order, I have changed the speed profile so it's correct. Unfortunately modify orders that are placed on a Friday will not complete until the early hours on Monday morning. I appreciate that this is a great inconvenience with the weekend coming up and I'm not able to make this complete any quicker.
I'm really sorry this has happened, I'll re-visit this again on Monday and I'll get a good will gesture arranged for you for the inconvenience - again, I'm really sorry.
deejayburnout
Grafter

Well that's bad news.  Sad
Been nearly 6 weeks since I ordered PlusNet and been in my new house 2 weeks and the whole process has been long and drawn out, with muck ups with the order and delays in account been setup. 
Not happy but out of my control so looks like I need to wait until Monday now.
What was the REALM it was set to initially as I have a ticket in my account that says the following
Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
ADSL Realm change from "" to "plusdsl.net"
Surely that was done this morning by Linn K? did this not fix it?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm really sorry that it's not good news - I wanted to be honest with what was wrong.
That's right, initially, Linn though that we just needed to update the realm on our side to plusdsl.net but it appears that our suppliers do not have a realm set on their systems - this should have been done when we placed the order.
If there is no realm on our suppliers side, you won't be able to connect - it needs to match on both sides. For any other readers, this only applies to 20CN and not 21CN.
I wish there was more that I could do 😕
deejayburnout
Grafter

Hi Chris
Its not a problem.
i got home and reset my router and turned on PC......................
Cheesy INTERNET IS WORKING  Cheesy
Not sure how after all is working but it is

Must be the internet pixies??????
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's great - it looks like our suppliers have completed the order pretty much straight away Smiley
So glad that's sorted out for you!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris
Unfortunately modify orders that are placed on a Friday will not complete until the early hours on Monday morning.

Chris,
I suggest (from experience) that the above reflects the SLA between PN and BTx - quoting it correctly manages users expectations.  That said sometimes expectations can be exceeded on all sides, in some cases it causes delight in others unexpected problems.  In my experience an order to cease out going calls on my business phone line placed on a Friday afternoon were forecast not to be implemented until Monday morning, which was ideal as that was the day after we vacated the premises.  In fact the change was applied within 15 minutes which was brilliant until I realised I could not process credit card transactions.  Strangely enough having recognised the issue, PN reversed the change just a s quickly.
Back on topic, sadly somethings can go wrong, but when the right focus is applied, the unexpected can happen - glad that you are now on air and I hope you will enjoy an event free service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deejayburnout
Grafter

I am well chuffed.
She and the kids will be happy she can get online and play COD and i can play War thunder and the kids can get Netflix on again.
PlusNet has done me proud.
Thanks for the prompt reply today and the excellent forum service.
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Townman - That's the SLA given by our suppliers, BT Wholesale to Plusnet. I could have stated 24 working hours which is the official line - but as orders generally complete in the early hours, I wanted to be as realistic as possible.
I wanted to maintain honesty as to what went wrong and why - it can be all to easy to blame 'systems' which isn't something we will do.
@deejayburnout - I'm really glad that the order completed early, I was sat thinking about a weekend with no broadband for you could be a nightmare. Thankfully things have turned out positively!
I hope to see you back on the forums again at some point for a chit chat Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Chris
I wanted to maintain honesty as to what went wrong and why - it can be all to easy to blame 'systems' which isn't something we will do.

Chris,
I do hope that readers on here see it that way - it takes brave people to admit when things go wrong - sadly some go looking for blood having found someone to blame, with the consequence that honesty can be hard to find.  That said sometimes "systems" go wrong because they are indeed flawed, but more often because someone provided incomplete or incorrect information.  In those circumstances the "system" should not be blamed beyond the possibility it allowed omission or incorrect (inconsistent?) data to be entered.
Whatever, this user's issue is resolved well within the (unpalatable) expectation window you set appropriate to your supplier's SLA.
I hope your home move goes well, especially that your ISP gets your service transfer aligned to your home move.  If they cant do that for you...  Grin
Cheers,
Kevin

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Haha Smiley
That's already been switched...well ahead of that one!
Thanks though! Should be a nice...busy weekend!