Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Profile Has Changed

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: My Profile Has Changed

Well something happened somewhere, because your sync speed is currently DS 2219, US 712 whereas yesterday it was DS 2485 US 707.
1.9Mbps profile is correct for that current sync speed, so the BT Speedtester is giving an erroneous result  Shocked   Can you run it again?
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

It has changed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.85 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 1.96 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.6Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
I have also got my ADSL going through my UPS. So from the faceplate the cable goes into the UPS & then from the UPS another wire goes to the router.  I was on the impression this could help with any noise on the line or interference on the power line.
Anotherone
Champion

What exact make and model is the UPS?
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Anotherone
Champion

Can't get the link to work, can't find that model on APC's site (yet)!
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Link should work, just refresh the page after you get the error
Anotherone
Champion

Getting rid of the &total_watts=200 off the end of the link originally worked with a refresh, but not now Roll_eyes  but at least I've got a page to look at.
Anotherone
Champion

Silly question (perhaps) you have got the modem/router plugged into one of the 4 Battery backup sockets? (not one of the surge ones).
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Yes I have it plugged into the master socket on the battery backup/surge protector (top left )
Anotherone
Champion

Only two thoughts on this - as the power consumption of the modem/router is very low and if you have the UPS configured to recognise a Master Device but you haven't set the threshold correctly, then in event of power failure the UPS may just shut off thinking the master device is in sleep mode or is not on.
Personally I wouldn't configure it to recognise a master device as you want the modem/router powered at all times and won't be turning it off and so don't require automatic turn off of the backup sockets.
The only other thought is the ADSL cable used, was one supplied and is it twisted pair and/or screened? What lengths are the two cables - NTE5A to UPS & UPS to Modem/Router? I assume you have it plugged through the Phone/DSL sockets not the Ethernet sockets.
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Okay I've plugged the cable back into the modem from the NTE5 Faceplate & my sync speed has increased.
SNR Margin (dB): 3.0  7.4
Attenuation (dB): 65.0  38.5
Output Power (dBm): 12.9  0.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 3232  788
Rate (Kbps): 2536  704
I have also unplugged the router from the master socket & placed it into the one just next to it (still on backup & surge strip)
How would I go about changing the threshold? tbh - i was under the impression the device would detect the amount of power going through it and adjust itself, obviously that's not going to happen 😕

Anotherone
Champion

Well I'm glad you've got your higher sync speed back, whether the lower speed was due to the components in the anti-surge, the extra (non-twisted pair?) cabling or conditions at the time is difficult to say.
I wouldn't have thought it necessary to unplug from the Master Power socket and put it in the next one, however that ought to be no problem IF the power saving feature is DISABLED. See page 2 of the Back-UPS ES BE550G/BE700G EN User Manual found on this page if you don't have a hard copy.
It says -
Disable the power-saving outlets. Press and hold MASTER ENABLE for two seconds. The unit will beep to indicated the feature is disabled. The green LED above the MASTER ENABLE button will darken.

"Enable" was the previous paragraph, and "Setting the Threshold" is the next paragraph.
I would ensure that it's Disabled.
btw the link not working issue is odd, I was using Firefox and found it had something to do with the http:// not being put into the url bar when clicking the link.Copying the Link Location and pasting that in the url bar worked. No problem using IE  Shocked
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Hi there,
Thanks for your time in helping me yet again.
I can confirm power saving is disabled and I just pulled the plug to check & power stay on and the battery kicked in.
However, my battery drain is still really high as it was counting the minutes down rather fast. I have checked the routers page and this router only uses 9w. Which means my 405W UPS should surely last a lot longer than the estimated 40 mins it has on Powerchute (the software I have installed on Windows to monitor the UPS)
Anotherone
Champion

Yes it certainly should last longer than 40 mins. I would check the Powerchute settings. I haven't touched Powerchute in years as the machine I had it on died a death and I've never bothered since, perhaps I ought to put it back on my current machine and check things out, but as my UPS just seems to work fine, I've not bothered.
You've definitely got nothing else plugged into the UPS? You did fully charge it (although it ought to be buy now anyway)?
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

The battery is fully charged according to PowerChute and I only have the router plugged into it.
As this is my first UPS, I'm wary of playing with the settings as the manual is not very user friendly 😕