Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Opinion

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: My Opinion

And bearing in mind it's a BT Voyager 2091, are you connected to it via Ethernet cable, USB or Wireless?
Please also confirm whether you switched it off last night or not?
Galrey
Grafter

Hi all again... I am conected to the internet wireless, we use 2 laptops in the house. Yes I also switched off last night, the internet light in the router went off,
there was no internet connection. I am used to this, it happens quite often.
Here are those photos you have asked me for:
adie:quote
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Those black wires are the BT incoming connection which should be connected to terminals A&B - the circuitry in the NTE5 does the rest with giving the ring signal for the phone.
I would urge you not to fit that new faceplate in place of the NTE5 master socket, as it is designed to be fitted as a slave socket.
Looking at the photos, that single socket next to the NTL branded phone socket appears to be connected to your incoming NTE5 (BT) as a slave (extension), or are my eyes deceiving me?? I can also see from that, that there is another cable leading off to the left going elsewhere. Can you trace where that ends up.
To re-iterate what Chris has said, we need to identify all the potential sources of problems with your line.
Anotherone
Champion

Lots of points here,
First I'd take that 'new' ADSL Faceplate back and try and get your money back or change it. That type is no good to you. The type you need must plug in, as does the removeable lower front plate. You must NOT play/alter the (black) wiring behind. That is BT's and they don't like people messing.
The wiring connected to the removeable front plate is your responsibility and you are allowed to alter things. Could we have a zoom in on that wiring just to confirm in detail what is there. I'm thinking the best thing for you may be the 'i-plate' after all.
With regard to the modem/router light, so does the DSL light stay on then when the internet light is off?
Edit: Chemical Brother and I were thinking along similar lines.
Screw that "Back" plate back onto the wall box and leave that bit alone for the time being.
Some more light on ALL these other wires would help. The zoom bit needed you've marked ' No idea here'
scootie
Grafter

am i reading the first pic wrong?
has the op managed to wire both router and phone to the dsl side of the first rat tail filter Undecided
Anotherone
Champion

Should've gone to specsavers asbo Cheesy
Galrey
Grafter

Ok...here is that zooming pic. The box near the NTL Box next to the BT Box goes under the stairs, under the carpet (there is no way I will lift the carpet to follow it,
or my wife will finish me off hahahahaha ;D;D;D ;D... I belive the wire goes up to another box exactly the same in the bedroom. From that box another black wire
comes out and has been joined to the front faceplate that I've removed to conect to the test box....Anyway I will let you see for yourselves.
Thank you all!
Galrey
Grafter

I forgot this:
Broadband Line Status
Line Mode G.DMT  Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave  Line Up Time 00:13:55:44 
Line Coding Trellis On  Line Up Count 1 

Statistics                      Downstream                  Upstream 
Line Rate                    1344 Kbps                      448 Kbps 
Noise Margin              7.8 dB                            13.0 dB 
Line Attenuation        62.0 dB                          31.5 dB 
Output Power            16.0 dBm                      12.3 dBm
Speed test:
Today @ 00:04              1004 kbps (126kB/s)                  376 kbps (47kB/s)
Anotherone
Champion

Can you leave the router on tonight, it would be nice to see if it holds sync. I'm just looking at this wiring, I think I'll need to ask some more questions about it (bearing in mind your local difficulties  Wink ).
Anotherone
Champion

Taking everything into account, I think the best thing will be to use a BT 'i-plate' which you can get from several sources. This simply plugs into the test socket and then the front plate plugs into it. It filters your internal connections. NOTE - this is NOT a replacement for your ADSL Filter, it is simply to help eliminate interference that is picked up on the bell-wire.
Just for future reference, your internal wiring is 'unconventional' (to say the least) and without the ability to fully trace all the wires and someone that understands wiring and has an IDC or krone tool, there is no point messing with wiring or bell wires etc.
It may never the less be useful to know where those two cables connected to the faceplate go.
I'm not sure I've fully understood from your explanation (perhaps I'm being a bit dense). There is a white cable that disappeared in the wall with the black BT wires - where did you believe this one goes?
The other cable goes to that other socket on the far left of your picture and then goes under the carpet/stairs? Where do you believe this goes?
Galrey
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I'm not sure I've fully understood from your explanation (perhaps I'm being a bit dense). There is a white cable that disappeared in the wall with the black BT wires - where did you believe this one goes?
The other cable goes to that other socket on the far left of your picture and then goes under the carpet/stairs? Where do you believe this goes?

Hi Anotherone!
To answer your first question I will tell you that if you look at pic N2 from the first set of images I've sent you (the picture with the 2 black wires), you will see the 2 black wires
and a white wire that conects to the front plate, the bit that I have removed to conect to the test conection, and disappears behind the wall.
The box, socket or what ever is called, next to the NTL box, goes to the left and goes under the carpet when it meets the stairs. As we have another telephone socket in the
bedroom, I belive that it goes upstair to join/conect to that one in the bedroom.
"I hope this helps"
Soon I will be putting back the front panel that goes into the testing socket, cos' it's driving me crazy seing all these wires haging about, and I will order one of those i-plates
that you have mentioned earlier
Galrey
Grafter

I have put everything back to how it was and I conected the telephone to the socket next to the NTL box and the telephone doesn't work.
In other words that box is conected to the main box and is not working, I don't understand it. Also when I put the faceplate back in the
test socket, my speed has hone from 1344 Kbps  to 960 Kbps...
Broadband Line Status

Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:00:19:08 
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 1 

Statistics                         Downstream                 Upstream 
Line Rate                        960 Kbps                       448 Kbps 
Noise Margin                 9.7 dB                             13.0 dB 
Line Attenuation            63.0 dB                           31.5 dB 
Output Power                15.3 dBm                        12.4 dBm
I am nipping out to return the faceplate that I bought...see you all!
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Now, I know this seems really daft, but did you re-connect the front plate back in to the master socket again? if not, then that may be why your extension sockets aren't working!
Did you have any joy with returning that faceplate?
Galrey
Grafter

Right I ave not touched any cables at all, up to now all I have done is to unscrew the screws that held the front cover.
As I have said before I have no idea about cables, just the basic, but when it comes to telephone lines I am completely lost.
This morning looking at the pics I had an idea, that if I put the front face of the BT plate back to how it was, because that box
next to the NTL box was joined by another cable to the main telephone sockect... Well I thought that if I did that I might be able
to conect the telephone, and the sky box to that socket, but when I tryed the telephone wouldn't work.
I don't know what to think anymore, my Voyager 2091 keeps going out of sink, and I have to keep restarting the router, or mabe
it's something that has to do with the line and not the router. I am wondering where to get my Belkin G out of the box, but I think
I will wait for abit, until I receive my I-plate, which I have ordered this morning online...Thank you ASBO DOG for the link.
Thank you all!
Broadband Line Status

Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:00:23:49 
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 1 

Statistics                      Downstream                Upstream 
Line Rate                    1344 Kbps                     448 Kbps 
Noise Margin              9.4 dB                            13.0 dB 
Line Attenuation         62.0 dB                          31.5 dB 
Output Power             16.2 dBm                      12.3 dBm

adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

That was a daft question CB  Wink but here is an even dafter one, did that socket work ing the first place?
Now before this gets out of hand, Frangal, as you said you weren't using any extension sockets it isn't going to matter, at least in the interim. The i-plate will help as regards the broadband issue.
More importantly, when you try to plug anything in to any of the extension sockets, you must do so via a filter unless the modem/router was previously switched off and you don't turn it on again until the device is unplugged.
Where are you plugged into with those last results? Leave it alone and on until your i-plate arrives! If you do not switch off the router at all, we will have some idea as what is going on with disconnects.
I'll post again about the wires, I wanted you to read this first.