cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Internet...

Akira
Grafter

My Internet...

So yesterday my Internet was activated and I set up my router exactly as described in the manual that came with the router and *bang*, the router would not connect to the Internet. The light just kept blinking for hours. I couldn't phone customer support because I don't own a house phone (yet) and I couldn't post on these wonderful forums because (obviously) I don't have internet at my home yet.
So, you awesome people, is there anything I can do? I'm at work at the moment so I can't go home to try any fixes yet. I was hoping to have Internet access in time for the weekend.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!  Wink
13 REPLIES 13
AndyH
Grafter

Re: My Internet...

Did you get an email that the activation was complete?
Could be a case that it's not been activated PN's end (simple to sort out).
Akira
Grafter

I got a text yesterday at 15:18 saying "Your broadband order has successfully completed. If you want more information, go to *blah blah blah*"
I also checked the order tracker on plus.net and it said my order has completed.
Akira
Grafter

...Or can I go into my router settings and do anything myself manually?
picbits
Rising Star

Fibre (FTTC) or ADSL ?
If Fibre, make sure the red port on the router is connected to the modem. If you want to set up your username and password manually you just need your username@plusnet.net (or whatever it's given you) and your password. Create a PPPoE connection and it should work.
Not sure on the ADSL
You can also hook a PC directly up to the BT Modem and create a PPPoE connection to test if your internet is working - do a quick search on here and you'll find some links with instructions.
Akira
Grafter

It's ADSL (if that helps).
picbits
Rising Star

Sad I've only had experience with Plusnets FTTC so can't really help.
I'm sure one of the staff will pick this up shortly Smiley
Akira
Grafter

Cheers anyway picbits.  Wink
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It looks as though we've found a fault on your Telephone Line. I've just got that reported to our suppliers. Our Phone Faults Team should be back in touch once we have more information for you.
Really sorry about this.
Akira
Grafter

Edit: Whoa! Hold up! I've just read the answer to my question! There is NO WAY I'm paying the £60 charge. When you say "If the fault is in my internal wiring..." what do you mean? I have never touched any wiring in my flat. This is not my fault. There is nothing i could have done to my internal wiring and I set the router up exactly as described in the manual. This is getting ridiculous now. Surely the engineer who installed the phone line would have realised there was a fault with it! Surely!!!
Akira
Grafter

I need to get this sorted!  Sad
Bright
Grafter

The wording about the £60 charge if the fault is in your equipment is a standard disclaimer that Plusnet (and other ISPs) point out when they send out a BTOR engineer. If Plusnet has found a fault on your line then there should be no need to worry about it. It's just if the BT engineer turns up and finds you've plugged the toaster into your phone socket that you might have to pay up Wink
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@Akira
The fault that's been detected is external to your property.
Akira
Grafter

Thanks much guys! I was really panicking yesterday. I know it doesn't seem like much, but a £60 charge would have been hard to cough up straight away. So, yeah, thanks Bright and Chris.  Wink