cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My HTTP download speeds have been capped from File sharing sites?

esseff
Grafter

My HTTP download speeds have been capped from File sharing sites?

I've been downloading quite a bit during the off-peak times from file sharing sites over the last few days (still have a bit more to get). I understood that off-peak HTTP downloading was unlimited and not subject to throttling. Yet, this afternoon, my download speed has suddenly been capped (I can still download at line speed from other sites) to 30kbps! What's going on here? Have I exceeded some unwritten limit? If so, what is it and how do I work within it? We already get capped at midday with regard to torrents. My broadband plan off-peak times don't end until 4.00pm and so I obviously thought I would be able to get what I need during this time. Can anyone explain?
5 REPLIES 5
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: My HTTP download speeds have been capped from File sharing sites?

Download sites are generally rate limited during certain times of the day.
I do know that PN are currently suffering from a gateway issue which means that all the other centrals are 'overloaded'.  This may have triggered rate limits across the board which might explain why your download servers have been limited to 30kB/s (256kbps).
B.
zubel
Community Veteran

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1222335496.htm is the SS pertaining to the busy network.
B.
esseff
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
I do know that PN are currently suffering from a gateway issue which means that all the other centrals are 'overloaded'.  This may have triggered rate limits across the board which might explain why your download servers have been limited to 30kB/s (256kbps).
B.

Thanks for that Barry.
I'm having no problem downloading updates from Apples web site at line speed. I also briefly got line speed again for a file from the file share site, but it's now back at 30kbps. Why would this just be affecting File sharing sites?
esseff
Grafter

Quote from: Barry

Which times are these? I've had no problems downloading at line speed from file share sites at anytime of the day over the last few days.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

On your product the restrictions can be seen here, http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml
We've basically had to introduce the download server limits slightly earlier due to the issues Barry linked to. I've updated the service status with this information too.
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1222347400.htm
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.