Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FTTC 80Mbps Profile is still decreasing - It is now <30Mbps

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: My FTTC 80Mbps Profile is still decreasing - It is now <30Mbps

other Broadband users interfering with my connection by using theirs at the same time

Terrible - shouldn't be allowed!  Grin
AFAIK crosstalk will be fairly constant (as long as others are in sync) and is predominantly from other FTTC users (less trouble from ADSL as less frequencies used).
Crosstalk will increase as more FTTC users are connected to your cabinet but this causes a gradual reduction in attainable rate rather than any kind of intermittent problem.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WWWombat
Grafter

What he said! ^^^
Crosstalk does increase when more modems are in sync, and it will indeed need to be other FTTC users that will have a serious-enough effect.
It is also unlikely to be 1 or 2 users that have a dramatic effect - more likely the cumulative effect of 20 or 30 in the same binder; for this BT would need quite a high penetration figure.
So it seems unlikely that a person turning his modem on every 4th week would have quite such a high impact.
Electric lights & motors have more impact. Perhaps someone mowing the lawn?
On DLM:
Yes, it certainly looks like DLM has chosen a new profile for you. It will have made the decision based on the cumulative effect over at least 24 hours - so even though the 6 hours beforehand were quiet, it is the total that matters.
DLM changes seem to happen in the 4AM-8AM timeslot, which this fits into.
The fact it has switch at even this level suggests that my line was *really* bad Sad
As for the behaviour co-inciding with your usage:
Remember that the modems are exchange blocks of data constantly, and performing full error-checks on those blocks all the time. It doesn't matter whether you are actually sending data at a user level, there are still 1,000's of blocks being exchanged per second. DLM then makes a decision based on the error-rate the cabinet's modem is seeing. Watch the OHF counter on the modem stats.
Meanwhile, the TBB meter is sending a ping out to your router once a second; the red areas indicate when packets went missing - which probably co-incides with a problem at the block-level on the modem. The error-rate here is indicative of the error-rate on the modem, but not identical.
In a sense, the TBB meter means you line is in use 24x7, 1 packet per second inbound and 1 outbound.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Well speed and ping down a bit, so long as it doesn't get any worse I'll be happy.

Very little lost blocks since DLM changed, but then there was very little loss for the last 6 hours before it changed.

So if it's unlikely to be crosstalk then that scuppers that idea, I will just have to keep monitoring until I can link the interference with an external event.
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Just when you think Plus Net have really upped their game and genuinely want to help, you get a reply from somebody that clearly hasn’t bothered to read my reply or anything of the case history.
I added a note to the ticket asking them to keep it open for 4 weeks as the fault only occurs once every few weeks and I get a reply asking me to close it as the fault has now been cleared !
I also resent being told that my speed is within “acceptable” limits when it is clealy lower than what it has been for the last 5 months.
I WILL DECIDE WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE, I am the customer and it is I that pays your bill and therefore your wages !
I despair I really do  Angry
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've assigned your ticket to me so this can be kept open, as per normal process it would close after 14 days of inactivity.
I agree with you that my colleague that responded to your ticket has not read and responded to your initial post, I will feedback to him regarding this.
When/if this issue crops up again let me know then I can we can carry on to investigate.
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Thanks
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Well it is now been a week since my speed dropped from an already low of 31Mbps down to 24Mbps in one go.
Previous to this dramatic drop of 7Mbps (23.3%) last week, it was falling at 1Mbps every month down from a previously steady 36Mbps for a lot of last year !
So what do we do now Huh
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We're going to raise this with our suppliers and go from there. I'll also make sure your ticket is kept open.