cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ESTIMATED speeds have reduced by half....anyone know why?

sine220
Dabbler

My ESTIMATED speeds have reduced by half....anyone know why?

Hello,
I have been with Plusnet for about 3/4 years and always had decent speeds for my area.
Previously on Plusnet and every other providers website it was estimated that my speeds would be about 3 meg.....i have done quite a few test over the past 4 years and on Speedtest.net they show that i usually get between 2.5 - 3 meg.......i was quite happy with this.
However, Plusnet now estimate my line speed will be 1.5meg.......not 3 meg.......and sure enough the speeds are now always exactly 1.5 meg.
Can anyone give me an idea why this might have happened? Other providers still estimate my speed will be 3meg.........why is plusnet different?
Thanks in advance
andy
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: My ESTIMATED speeds have reduced by half....anyone know why?

Can you post the stats from your router - noise margin, speed and attenuation
If you aren't sure this will explain how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Also post the Current Line Speed from here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
sine220
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for replying......I hope you can make sense of all this.......As i said, Its the fact that a few months ago Plusnet estimated my speed would be 3meg...and it was...and now they estimate 1/2 of that...and it is!!...I just don't understand why its been cut in half.

Here are the things you asked for....and thanks again for any assistance

Current Line speed from Plusnet

Telephone number:
    01383xxxxxxx
Phone exchange:
    INVERKEITHING
Estimated line speed:
    1.5 - Checked on 2010-08-11 23:40:04
Current line speed:
.Router Info
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 13:07:53
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,816
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 1.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 53.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 11.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 86 / 13,649
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 86 / 223
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 50 / 148
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Several things can be deduced from that information.
First at some time recently you had a low sync event somewhere between 2016 kbps and 2240 kbps which gave you the 1750kbps IP profile
Second your line is not performing as well as could be expected mainly because your default noise margin has been increased to 12dB at a guess.
The first thing to try is the test socket assuming you have one and record the stats. Don't do it after dark (about 9:30 am to 3:30 pm would be best)
At about the time you noticed the speed dropping did you change your telephone, plug in a Sky box or add something else to the telephone line
sine220
Dabbler

Righto, I'm actually already using the test socket. I currently have 1 microfilter splitting broadband and telephone signals. I only have one phone and I did change it a while back.....and also a wee while ago I changed my router several times as one went faulty on me.....I've subsequently changed to the plusnet Thompson router. Is there anything I can do to improve things currently? Thanks again for your assistance: andy
julesandsand
Grafter

OP, FYI  my son lives in Inverkeithing and is with Tiscali. Previously his speed was about 3-3.5Mbps, since Tiscali have been taken over by Talk Talk who have LLU at your exchange his download speed has increased to 7.6Mbps
Oldjim
Resting Legend

How long a cable are you using between the socket and the router
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: julesandsand
... since Tiscali have been taken over by Talk Talk who have LLU at your exchange his download speed has increased to 7.6Mbps

I think this probably points to how very temperamental BT's Dynamic Line Management system can be, with the result that you can very easily end up with a broadband speed that is a lot lower than the line is capable of. 
sine220
Dabbler

Cable isn't that long...maybe 10ft? But it's the same cable I've been using all along. I don't really understand how all this works but is there a way to get by line reset back to the 3meg it can handle?