Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband usage has really shot up

zebedy1967
Hooked

My Broadband usage has really shot up

Hi

I was just checking my broadband usage and it more than trebled last month but i have just been doing the 

things i usually do. Could there be a legitimate reason for this or do you think i may have had my broadband or wifi hacked.

I haven't noticed my connection get any slower like someone else is using it at the same time. or anything, 

22 Jun - 21 Jul 28.31GB 5.69GB 33.99GB
22 Jul - 21 Aug 32.76GB 4.32GB 37.08GB
22 Aug - 21 Sep 105.35GB 6.88GB 112.23GB

Also i noticed this on the usage breakdown it says on Broadband Phonecalls there is 4.63MB total usage but i have never used this.

Most of the usage is in peak time hours which is when im usually on my pc so surely if there was someone else using my connection i would have noticed ? 

4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: My Broadband usage has really shot up

Have you any Windows 10 PCs and if so have you disabled the option to distribute Windows updates to the internet?

These are the best settings:

Windows updates.jpg

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zebedy1967
Hooked

No im still using win 7 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@zebedy1967 wrote:

Most of the usage is in peak time hours which is when im usually on my pc so surely if there was someone else using my connection i would have noticed ? 

Might be worth changing the wireless key for your router just in case, if the high usage continues after this it might be worth disconnecting the router completely for a few hours, we'll then be able to check if any usage has occurred during those few hours, if it's 0 that would indicate it's something that is connected and not just a reporting issue.

Have you recently added anything to your network or changed what you do online? (Smart TV, Sky TV, Netflix/other streaming sites?)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
zebedy1967
Hooked

Thanks harry. I just changed my WiFi password/key on my router. Hopefully that cures it Smiley

The last time i tried, i also changed my SSID  but i couldn't get a connection on my phone  so i just set everything back to the factory settings now i just changed the password and it seems OK, weird 

Yes i connected my tv  to my pc but a few months back but im spending roughly the same amount of time streaming etc as i did before