cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband Speed says 13.9MB/s what is going on?

Rincewind
Dabbler

My Broadband Speed says 13.9MB/s what is going on?

Hi all
I've been having some slow speed issues for a few days, nothing new as it pretty much always clears up.
This time I kept an eye on my speeds using the Plusnet link to "My Broadband Speed"
At first I was getting sub 700kbps, after the speed came back to what I would call normal, the speedtester started recording speeds that are frankly a fairy tale! lol
The last 3 recorded speeds where:
  68862 kbps (8.61MB/s)   378 kbps (47.3kB/s)   Share
      111290 kbps (13.9MB/s) 369 kbps (46.1kB/s) Share
       13308 kbps (1.66MB/s) 372 kbps (46.5kB/s) Share
Now I ask you 111290kbps, what is going on here?
I estimate my actual line speed (at best) is roughly 3 to 4000kbps, going on download speeds, which are no faster than usual.
Has anyone else noticed this?
It seems to run at normal figures, then the speed needle goes full scale in the last few seconds of the test.
Cheers.
Den.
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: My Broadband Speed says 13.9MB/s what is going on?

Hi Rincewind,
We've noticed a few posts along these lines, there's a thread on it somewhere that I'll dig out and link to in a bit. So far from what I can see it doesn't happen consistently, though we will look into the problems you've advised of.
Rincewind
Dabbler

Hi Matt
Thank you for your reply.
I have noticed this phenomenon before, but it wasn't just as extreme as it appears to be now.
Will await your next reply with interest Smiley
Regards.
Den
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just done a speedtest with My broadband, and it is almost exactly the same as speedtest.net...... so can`t see a problem with it.....
try this one.... and then run the My broadband again, to see how they compare......
http://www.speed.io/index_en.html
W1ngD1ngs
Grafter

Been having problems with all the speed testers, including BT since the weekend.  BT won't run, My Broadband Speed needle stays at zero then flicks up then download test finishes, speedtest.net much the same etc etc.
Don't know if the problems PN had last week, or the fix for them has caused all the hassle.  Any ideas?
Rincewind
Dabbler

If Plusnet are having problems they are not fixed.
My latest speed test at the official My Broadband Speed:
Today 20:53  42512 kbps (5.31MB/s)  377 kbps (47.1kB/s)
The test sat at around 3500kbps for about 30 seconds, then jumped to 42000+ for less than one second at the end.
This is typical of the problem.
Thanks DawnRider, for the suggestion to try another speedtester, but I'm trying to point out that Plusnet's "Official" tester is having major problems (at least for me anyway)
exporters
Grafter

I was directed to the sites below through helpful Forum folks some weeks ago & find them pretty good. I seem to get widely fluctuating speeds at times with My Speedtest.  I usually keep an eye on BTspeedtester also
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
Speedtest.net
Isposure
Rincewind
Dabbler

Hi exporters
Those links were interesting
Thinkbroad gave me a steady 3.3mbps, which is what I consider normal, I rarely get higher, often lower speeds...ahem Plusnet! lol

Speedtest.net give me 2.4mbps for most of the test, then in similar fashion to Plusnet  tester (My Broadband Speed) it jumped to over 79mbps in the last few seconds of the test?Huh

Isposure doesn't seem to work with Windows 7, so I have no result for it.
Finally Plusnet's figures via My Broadaband Speed:

These results concern me, I already have a problem (ticket raised 2 days ago) with what I believe are false useage figures, I just hope Plusnet are not measuring my line at 79Mbps! lol
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've stopped using mybroadbandspeed as I said here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,83226.msg685151.html#msg685151
However if I temporarily disable my Kaspersky Suite it works much better Huh
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine