Test 2 @07.50.  bt Line 2144Kbs, down 1412 Kbs, Up 448 Kbs  Profile  1750Kbs
Test 2a  MBS Down 1826Kbs,  Up 376Kbs.
C.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: My Broadband Speed issue??

HI colintivy,
Thanks for that. Let's just see what the engineer makes of your wiring.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

test 3.15.29.  bt Line 2144K.  Down speed 1513K. profile 1750K.  Up speed. 448K.
                   Belkin N. line 2144K. S/N 17db. Atten. 39db
                   MBS   Down speed 1779K.  Up speed 377K.
A query...bt ask for (optionally) for a Service ID.  Is this for PN or is it peculiar to me? I am curious.
Engineer (bt or PN?) Monday pm. views awaited. Note that trouble as illustrated by your graphs is occasional, no activity on last Saturday, so what is there that could be so selective to cause this? The drop-outs will have upset bt to increase the S/N. Noted that others seem to have had similar performance changes from recent posts. This happened last December as well...all very strange.
C.  Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI colintivy,
I'd be very surprised if it's not all down to that junction box in the garage.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hopefully that you are right!
C.  Cheesy
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo!
Engineer duly called (early!!) and, as expected, fitted a NTE5 box in the garage roof. He tested all the interior wiring, having connected it all. He claimed that there was no problem with it! He witnessed that the MBS and Belkin figures were more or less the same as they were before he started, so that no damage seems to have been done. He suggested that there ought not to be much delay in an improvement in performance  which will be welcomed. He seemed to be au-fait with what he was doing and was very pleasant to have around.
C.  Cheesy (so far).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi colintivy,
I certainly wish he had fitted it in the house. I'd love to see what the performance is like in the test socket, but I can imagine this would be quite a laborious undertaking.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi! Jojo,
He chose the garage roof because that was where the outside cable came in and nearly all the existing extensions are terminated. You are quire right that plugging the router directly into the test socket would be a bit of a job But what I might do, when I have more than an hour or two to spare will be to take the router there and also my laptop and give it a go. To keep everything except the router there would entail a very long Ethernet cable fed through the garage roof into the main house roof then down into where I compute upstairs. The two roofs adjoin at right-angles so it would not be impossible but holes big enough for the connector would present a problem. Although the router is capable of wireless operation, none of the rest of the gear has it. Anyway you prefer not to have that in use when testing do you not?
Performance right now has improved a little but nowhere near what it was after the readjustments you did not long ago. I will keep an eye on it for a few days and report back unless you want me to do anything else.
Colin    Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI colintivy,
I'll reset your SNR again, seeing there has been some work carried out, but as before I'll not make any promises as to whether it'll stay there.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo!
Ta! It looks like you have done it already, see attachment.
Colin   Grin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I won't hold my breath, Colin. It may drop again like it did last time.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Breath  not held here either! At the previous attempt, I did notice that the significant change was the S/N crept up to that when we started, indicating that there was a noise problem. Currently Belkin says it is 7db which is the lowest that I have ever seen! So it may change as before. The engineer could not find any fault with the internal wiring, which is encouraging. BT says my connection rate is 4064K and actual down rate of 2896K. Profile is 3500K.
A question about BTspeedtester. They seem to take a age to very me when I have given them just the phone number. There is the option to use a Service ID. What is this and could it speed things up if I used it with or without the phone number? I do not find any information about this.
Colin Cheesy

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi colintivy,
From what I can see your profile is 3000, so that's probably why your speed is 2896. The BT speedtester can be a bit slow, so you have to bear with it, it's the same for me. Also, the service ID won't make it work any faster. Let me know if you do a BT speedtest today and it still shows 3500.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo,
Did a bt speedtester. It now agrees with you that Profile is 3000K. Sadly I note from Belkin that S/N has slowly increased in 1db steps fro 7db to 10 db all of which shows a drop off could be imminent. I will continue to monitor things. If I have time, I will try the laptop and Belkin in the garage roof as you recommend.
Colin Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thing is, Colin, you're not likely to see any difference plugging into the test socket. It would only be if I reset it, which would seem fruitless as you will have to revert it back to the house. I really wish the engineer had installed it in the house.
Jojo Smiley