cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband Speed issue??

colintivy
Rising Star

My Broadband Speed issue??

I have had a few issues with download speeds recently but this is not one of them. I tried to check with MBS and it refused to operate at all, once it flashed up an error message about not being able to read a file somewhere. Checked on another computer and it is the same. In fact my Belkin N router tells me that the figures are normal for me any way. I am writing this now as you see. Funnily earlier today I was surprised to see that my noise margin had reduced to 10db, a figure not seen for many months, the usual is around 16 or 17db. Is something adrift somewhere?
Crazy
60 REPLIES 60
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: My Broadband Speed issue??

HI colintivy,
Make sure you have the latest version of flash as that could be a possible cause if you don't have it.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo
You could be right, I had no indication from Update Manager (Ubuntu 10.04.2) but I looked on Synaptic Manager and Lo and Behold there has been an update. I have installed that.....BUT....MBS still does not work. My XP machine also is in the same position, I will see what breed of Flash is in that now. It all worked a few weeks ago on both.. Any views?Huh
C.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo,
I have checked that I have Adobe Flash Player version 10.3.181.14- 0 lucid on board. But I see that synaptic says it is compatible with Firefox 3 and not 4. Any other clues? I have 3 on the laptop and 4 on the Win XP machine. I get the MBS panel come up but after pressing Start it says Preparing to test Download but nothing else happens.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI colintivy,
I'm not sure what else to suggest as there are no issues with My Broadband Speed.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo,
Further to the above, I have tried again and waited an awful long time for the Download Test to happen (to fast before) and it finally gave me the following:-  Download 128kbs  Up 374kbs. I then looked ar the router which gave the following:- Data Rate (Down) 2752kbs.,  Noise Margin 17db., Attenuation 39db. These are typical for the router for some time. The download speed is evidently sluggish but not, I think as bad as the MBS figures indicate. Food for thought?Huh
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo,
Everything still grim here (as above).
Sad
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo!
Surprise....surprise!  Download right now back to what is "normal" for me here (about 2 Megs). I have not done anything to the in-house system whatsoever! All very strange! It rather looks like BT are up to something again, since this variability has been around for some months now, not only to me. I do know that there was a major replacement of wooden poles along the route to the exchange and we have had some pretty severe winds at times since (windy right now). Perhaps there is some overhead joint that is not quite right. Any feedback from BT or others recently that might give a clue?
  Cheesy  Huh
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI colintivy,
Glad to hear that, is it all still ok?
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

No but not as bad, Down = 740Kbs !
C.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi colintivy,
Thank you for your time today, just let me know when you've plugged directly into your master socket and I'll check it further for you.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Jojo!
Thanks for the pleasure of your phone call. This IS personal Service. Plugged in as you suggest.
Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great, I'll run some checks Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi again Jojo!!
Here is my graph (I hope) since replugging.
 Cheesy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

All the slow results are afternoon and evening - are the VP's OK?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)