cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband Hell (not PN's fault) - help required...

jonnywishbone
Grafter

My Broadband Hell (not PN's fault) - help required...

My parents who live next door are with BT getting a steady 2.9mbs download (hard wired) and I am only getting 2.22mbs (hard wired), what gives?
Our speed actually went up two days ago to 2.49mbs but has since dropped again, how comes my Mum next door (yes I know) is getting higher speeds than me - it's embarrassing.
I wouldn't normally argue over such a small difference but when you have speeds as low as this it makes a huge difference! (especially when I just moved from a house on the FTTP trial which now enjoys speeds of more than 300mbs)
Also, can you find out when my cab is being upgraded to FTTC "SMSUP40" - 39 & 41 are in the build programme but ours is missing?
I'd prefer not to have to leave PN for BT for such a small increase in speed so please do what you can to help a member in BB crisis Embarrassed
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: My Broadband Hell (not PN's fault) - help required...

Can you post your router stats and the results of a BT diagnostic speed test please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just performed some diagnostics for you and I can see that the line is connecting at a line rate of just over 2600kbps so I've increased the profile on our systems to get a bit extra for you.
As you may know broadband speeds are dependent on local conditions such as the quality and length of line and not necessarily the ISP you connect to and that's most likely why your mum gets a slightly different download speed.
With regards to fibre http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome doesn't reveal anything but I'm going to see if there's anything else we can check for you.
Adam
PS I've just looked into this further and no date for activation is being offered for your cabinet I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jonnywishbone
Grafter

Aaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhh I can't take the crap BB anymore.
Its driving flipping insane Crazy
No increase in speed, however my mums BB who lives next door has gone up, now over 3mbs.
Their line is connected to the duct outside my front door only feet away. Line length is not the issue here!
Can you check to see if i am still on prioritised add-on aswell?
Very very sad customer
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding your present speed problem if you provide the stats from your router - noise margin, speeds and attenuation we may be able to suggest something
jonnywishbone
Grafter

Cant remember username and password!
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

You're half way there if you get emails from PN.
You might also care to look at these links
http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/usernames_guide.shtml
http://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I imagine Jonny meant the user name and password to access his router stats.  If it's a Plusnet-supplied router the details are here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson-585-faqs-and-troubleshooting.shtml#userPass
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

A relatively small difference like this (I know it's a large percentage difference though) can be down to local wiring issues too of course. Number of extensions if any and how they're wired, what kind of filtering is used and what makes (splitters, faceplate etc.) and where in the system your router is connected.
When I moved into my present house the broadband speed was around 2Mb but I was able to get it up to around 5.5Mb by alterations to the internal wiring so it can have a very major effect.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!