cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Broadband = 2MB, Flat below = 6.5MB? Help please!

fransorci
Grafter

Re: My Broadband = 2MB, Flat below = 6.5MB? Help please!

Wahey! BT engineer came and found there was an issue with the BT box down at the bottom of the flats.
The box has been wet at some point and/or was covered in condensation. He removed my phone wires from the box and crimped them using his own "tools", went back upstairs and the line trained at 7872kbps!
BT speedtester showed this:
IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
7872 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1348 kbps
Please can we update my PN and BT profiles now to 8MB???
hopefully this will get my 800kbps download speeds back!
(Also send this to Jameseh)
Very happy Fran Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

I suspect you'll have to wait for BT's systems to 'wake up' to the fact you're syncing faster now.
This can take up to three days, so persevere with it. 
The first thing that should change is your IP profile as determined by BT.  You will see this on the BT speedtester at http://speedtester.bt.com
Shortly after BT updates, your IP profile as determined by Plusnet should also update.  You can find this at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Once the Plusnet profile has updated, a quick reboot of your router should restore your previous high speeds.
If any part of the process appears 'stuck'  (ie the BT profile or Plusnet profile doesn't update) then raise a ticket and post the ticket number here and I'm sure someone will hop all over it for you
B.
James
Grafter

Hi Fran,
I can't actually change the IP Profile I'm afraid, but this should be picked up in the next couple of days.
Absolutely ecstatic that BT sorted it out for you Smiley
(IP Profile is currently 1750)
fransorci
Grafter

James - It's up to about 6MB now! Much better!
Downloading things at 650k now, although I still used to be
able to download at 850k!
The SNR is still 16db Downstream and 20db Upstream - will this settle down and the speed increase more-so?
Attenuation is 20db downstream and 6db upstream Cheesy
Fran.
fransorci
Grafter

My PN and BT Profile is showing as 6000kbps - will this change to 7150kbps if I keep syncing above 7520kbps?
Also, this target SNR malarkey - can't remember if you said it can be requested to be lowered? (As there's now no phone line issues)
Ta Smiley
Oh i'm going to stay with Plusnet now rather then switch to Sky because of this good service.
zubel
Community Veteran

The SNR may *eventually* come back down automatically.  However, if you raise a ticket asking for your target SNR to be adjusted downwards (I think the rule of thumb is to do it in 3db increments) then post the ticket number here, then Jameseh can action that.
Word of warning though - It's a very manual process and I know Jameseh has to argue with BT a few times before they do finally action it, so it may take a few days.
It may be worthwhile asking for a larger SNR adjustment, but Jameseh should be able to advise on that.
B.
James
Grafter

Hi Fran,
Because I've already got BT to change the SNR for you once, they won't do it again for me.
However, if you keep a stable connection for 28 days, the target SNR should decrease.  I appreciate it's quite a lot of time, but it is how their system works.