cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must I have ADSL2+ ? it's rubbish compared to what PlusNet supplied before!

ChrisCR

Must I have ADSL2+ ? it's rubbish compared to what PlusNet supplied before!

I wish Plusnet had not upgraded my exchange to ADSL2+ (well I think that's what we now have).
Ever since the upgrade a few months ago the reliability is rubbish.
I used to get about 4.5MBPS downstream and 380KBPS upstream and it worked reliably.
Now I get 7.7MBPS down and 660KBPS up but it falls over most evenings at about 9pm.
I was totally happy with the old speed and reliability.
This chase for speed is mad, reliability is much more important.

Can it be turned back to what we had before?
Chris
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Must I have ADSL2+ ? it's rubbish compared to what PlusNet supplied before!

You can't go back to 20CN but you can go to ADSL1 on 21CN
I did that because ADSL2 with uncapped upload was unstable for me
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I am also finding ADSL2+ to be much less stable than ADSL1.  The SNR ratio varies by ±1dB over 24 hours on ADSL2+ whereas the variation was ±0.1dB under ADSL1.  I also found interference from the power supply on a computer that I had never observed before.  But in my case the end result on ADSL2+ is still a good bit better than it was before. 
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Even if we could I don't think moving your service back would help. As far as I can see you've been on ADSL2 on 21CN since February and where as I can't look at all your connection logs between then and now it looks like a broader reaching issue with disconnections happening quite often so my advice to you would be to raise a fault and let us look at pushing that issue towards a fix instead: http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BigNez
Dabbler

Thanks for this post this confirms my issues with disconnections on Plusnet Unlimited! I have disconnections that take out the router for about 10 minuets every day!
Fortunately there is a solution as Plus net have finally a fiber product that fits our needs! I don't understand why they moved me back to ADSL2+ on the first of August!
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I'm still not certain whether ADSL2+ will be worthwhile in the long term. Higher sync is there for a time, but often drops again before the PN profile catches up.
Question:
If I stay on 21CN but revert to ADSL1, do I still get the advantage of more or less instant profile of 88·2% of sync?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes you do  - BUT - the delta report thingy isn't working so the Plusnet version can take up to 3 days to catch up.
However
If you resync fairly soon after the drop it seems to miss the drop in the Delta reports
alex7127
Grafter

I have been on ADSL2+ on ADSL1 settings for a couple of weeks now. This was because my total circuit length is almost 6000m and I suffered with stability issues.
So far so good with the settings I am on
I have found the Profile to sort itself out immediately the router is rebooted or within a couple of hours or circa 11-12mdt that night.

Alex Crazy
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Thanks, Oldjim. That's reassuring to know should I decide to revert.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
ChrisCR

To the PlusNet comment.
Yes it was about February you changed things.
I am, I think 5KM from the exchange and have about 30 metres of drop wire feeding my house (I think it's 2 x twisted pairs in the black sheath).
Your system suggests I will get 3 mbps,  but I get up to 7.7 mbps.
Many of the disconnections will be due to the noise margin dropping to 0dB after 9PM each evening, maybe medium wave broadcast pick-up on the drop wire?
I was happy with the 4.5mbps and reliable connection I had before February, what would ADSL1 do for me?
Regards,
Chris