cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple open reach visits, still extremely high line attenuation

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Multiple open reach visits, still extremely high line attenuation

Ok got the Bits/Tone screenshot. Attached. Also current stats and the two screens from the BT tests attached.
Thanks again for looking at this! Learning a lot about the tools out there

AndyH
Grafter

That would explain the data transferred figure then (if it's not reset on a new DSL uptime).
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

ejs, I can't remember either  Embarrassed
Anotherone
Champion

Is everything plugged in by filters, are they Rat's tail filters? That bit loading is consistent with the reported speed and because it's so low that's why the attenuation figure is reported as it is.
Edit: As per my other comment, a hell of a lot of broad spectrum noise - least likely, or something bridging the line - possible, faulty filters or modem/router - also possible.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That bit loading graph indicates a problem
You are losing bit loading in the lower ADSL bands
I had exactly that problem until my line was fixed
The effect in my case was that I used to lose upstream speeds when the phone rang and the line resynched but I have a longer line than you
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Anotherone
Is everything plugged in by filters, are they Rat's tail filters? That bit loading is consistent with the reported speed and because it's so low that's why the attenuation figure is reported as it is.
Edit: As per my other comment, a hell of a lot of broad spectrum noise - least likely, or something bridging the line - possible, faulty filters or modem/router - also possible.

Currently it is running with a filter - I'm guessing rat's tail is what you'd call it. I have it plugged into the test socket. No other house wiring connected, last openreach engineer left it disconnected. I've found a friend also on Plus net with same router. I assume the swap takes little more than changing the username/password on the DSL settings? I should be able to test with that later today.
Quote from: Oldjim
That bit loading graph indicates a problem
I had exactly that problem until my line was fixed

ok thanks Jim - I'll do the modem swap and then schedule another morning off work!
Anotherone
Champion

If it's a faulty modem/router they'll just send you another.
Try another filter first, just in case.
Quote from: Oldjim

He's losing bit loading across the whole of the downstream.
I'm assuming his upstream hasn't been uncapped.
Edit: You don't have to change the username it'll connect to his account fine. Unless you know your way around this beast I'd leave it with his username otherwise you may get TR-069 getting in the way and muck things up.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is very likely correct
Uncapping the upstream may make the problem more obvious
Until my line was really properly sorted uncapping the upstream was a disaster as the line would always lose sync when the phone rang due to the very high upstream error rates
Referring to my earlier examples - I can't tie it down exactly but I think that the initial fix was when I was moved from 20CN to 21CN with a change of frames at the exchange
Anotherone
Champion

Your problem on 20CN Jim may also have been related to the make of exchange line card as well, with the 8.4.4.J firmware. Still the same issues don't normally arise on 21CN.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All -
So the borrowed router is here and shows a dramatic difference. Pictures below.
I'm going to guess that when the first engineer came onsite and found the box on the pole open, wet and showing a short - it might have also damaged the modem. That was why the second engineer could see 9+mb/s sync and I only 2-3mb/s. Two issues, made it harder to sort out.
Thanks for everyone that gave me advice and showed me some of the available tools.
Anotherone
Champion

Great stuff, glad it's sorted.
Hopefully one of the CRT will pick this up Tuesday and organise a replacement 582n for you.