Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Disconnections and Slower Speeds

AndyFM
Dabbler

Multiple Disconnections and Slower Speeds

Hi, 

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that my connection has been slowing down. On investigation I saw that my routers logs showed multiple DSL disconnections across several days. 

Currently my router shows Max rate for downstream of 18800, but the current rate is only 6652. 

DSL 170418 - 1749.PNG

the current line speed on the PN Profile is 17.7Mb

PN portal data transfer speed.PNG

and the BT wholesale diagnostic shows a much slower speed as well. 

BTW diag.PNG

Nothing has changed with my setup internally, so I can only assume that it is an issue with the line, and the exchange is increasingly slowing the connection due to the instability. Please could someone investigate, as this is getting very annoying.

Thanks

Andrew

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Multiple Disconnections and Slower Speeds

Have you tried a quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2 from a corded phone?

AndyFM
Dabbler

I have just performed the quiet line test, and cannot hear anything at all.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @AndyFM

Thanks for the results included in your initial post.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue, I agree that something doesn't seem right at all. I've performed a few test in an attempt to replicate the results you received. See my screengrabs below;

xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 10.3 24.3
SNR Margin: 7.0 23.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 8438713 126131467
Speed: 1075 6653

You are only syncing at just over 6Mbps, which is below the level that you should be experiencing on this line.

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 13 -- 11 to 15 Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 13 Up to 1 11 to 15 Available -- --  
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available -- --  
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --  
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --

The SNR margin on this test bothers me, whilst it is theoretically true that "thee higher the SNR the more stable the connection", as is shown by this next picture (a visual representation of your router logs) this does not seem to be the case for you at all!

You're getting an awful lot of drop outs, which, coupled with the high SNR could be causing your Sync speed to be lower than it should be.

I have performed a manual SNR rest on your line, this should complete in 4 hours time.I require you to power cycle your router after this period of time in order to complete the reset. This should hopefully bring your speed up top the at least the minimum estimate for your line and reduce these drop outs. 

Once this have been done could you please plug your router into the test socket of your premise and re run your checks for me?

If you are unsure of how to do this please click here to view a handy guide.

Thanks

Alisdair

AndyFM
Dabbler

Thank you very much for you quick reply. I've just checked my router and the current downstream rate is already showing at 18124. However, as requested, I will still reset the router in 4 hours and re-run all the tests (the router is plugged into the only socket in my flat anyway). 

DSL 170418 - 1851.PNG

AndyFM
Dabbler

@MasterOfReality

Hi Alisdair, 

I have power cycled my router, and the below is the data from my router, and the BTw test results, while connected to the test socket behind the faceplate of my connection. 

DSL 170418 - 2302 (test socket).PNGBTW diag (test socket).PNGhopefully the line will be more stable now. 

Thank you for your help.

Andrew

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Things are looking good from our point of view Andy, how are things on your side?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AndyFM
Dabbler

Hi @adamwalker

Just got home form work, the downstream rate on my router has stayed at the levels from last night, and the BTw test returned similar results when run just now. 

Checking the logs on my router, the DSL did appear to disconnect/reconnect sometime this morning (which I believe corresponds to the session close/start on your table on 18th), but that doesn't seem to have affected the speed this time.

Hopefully the issue is sorted now.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Good morning @AndyFM

Thanks for updating us, hopefully it was just the face plate of the telephone socket that was faulty. Keep an eye on it over the next few days and let us know if this changes. Cheesy

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team