Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to plusnet, No MAC

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Moving to plusnet, No MAC

Hi
As previously noted I have taken over the local community centres PC setup. I have been wanting to move their broadband to plusnet for a while, and have been go ahead to do this. As far as I am aware the ADSL is currently with BT, but I am not sure. The username in the router is a BT.Com address but BT are being pains, and stating they cannot find the account, as its so old.  This is true, and I am unsure of the age of the account, but it must be at least 10yrs ago.  I could probably push BT, but wondered how easy it was to move broadband suppliers with no MAC code.  We can deal with a few days of downtime if needed.
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Moving to plusnet, No MAC

Hi there Penfold,
It's certainly possible to move the circuits over without a MAC, however my concern is if BT can't find the details they'd need to issue MACs they'd not be able to raise cease orders against each of the circuits either.
The only way to instigate a cease would be a change of ownership (or provider) for each of the lines, that would usually issue a PSTN cease to remove the broadband within a week or so.
With that in mind my advice would be to press on with BT.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: penfold
The username in the router is a BT.Com address but BT are being pains, and stating they cannot find the account, as its so old.

I bet if you stopped paying the bills they'd find the account!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I'm assuming someone must be paying the bill for it.  Maybe they could provide some extra details that will help find the account.
Another option would be to cancel the payment method used to pay for it (easy enough if it is Direct Debit).  I'm sure they will quickly find the account then and be in contact!  Cheesy
Adam, would you be able to see from the tag on the line who the broadband supplier is, just in case it is with someone else, which is why BT can't find it?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, think we can do that, yeah - just needs the phone number to be put into the checker. @penfold, if you drop one of us PN staff a PM with the number we'll have a look for you and see what shows on the line if you like?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matt
PM Sent
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matt
I will try and push BT then.  Issues are really that they will probably want nothing to do with me, as I am not the account holder, and the account holder is not available. All I have is an E-Mail address thats in the router.  Tried logging in with this on the BT site, and then saying I had forgot the password, but the username is not recognised.... 
I will get back to you if I have issues, I may have to try and migrate with no MAC, and deal with the downtime, if thats even possible, as I am not the account holder of the existing broadband.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Finally got a mac from bt. They want phone with you as well. .. can we do a simultaneous provide with this mac?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That's crazy, BT should not want the phone transferred away from them (but that's their problem), if you're looking to keep the line with PN for at least 12 months then best to go for LRS from the start (if funds permit)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Doh... typo. Meant we want phone with plusnet...
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Probably me mis-reading your post (just re-read it, sorry)  Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Any of the DCT care to comment on my question, that with the MAC, can we do a simutanious provide of phone and BB, or should I just look elsewhere, as to be honest, the support I have had, recently with my line fault has been nothing short of abysmal, and I am concerned about letting the community centre go with Plusnet, as I am sure there is currently an active fault on the line at the centre.
I have had to chase and chase the CSC to get them to do something, and my forum posts go unanswered by the DCT.  I am aware that the forums are not an 'official' line of support but the DCT have always been keen to help.
Also, the line fault is still not fixed, as due to the time I have had to wait to get things sorted when thr 2nd engineer came, the noise had again gone. Unfortunately it has come back, and when the noise is apparant, then then you try and phone out, the broadband drops.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Any of the DCT care to comment on my question, that with the MAC, can we do a simutanious provide of phone and BB
I don't think SIm Provides help in transferring existing BT lines, they are only useful for new lines or a move from LLU.
The MAC just allows for the BB move and can be done pretty quickly, the phone move can be initiated at the same time but OFCOM rules insist that there is a 10 working day period to prevent slamming. A Sim provide needs at least 10 days notice AFAIK so all that happens is that the BB move is also delayed, and then there's also the potential for the SIM order to fail...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, if both are with LLU then yes I think we can do a sim provide with a MAC, but if it's a BT phone line we'd move the broadband in first then place the order to transfer the phone line after the broadband is active. That's because there's a 10 working day period we have to abide by when moving a phone line in (ofcom regulation). Hope that helps explain, and sorry for the delay in coming back to you.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks matt.. well we will move the bb first and sort phone later...
Sorry for stroppiness, I was having a bit of a sh*****y day at work fri 13th and all... I do wonder if you can look at my ongoing fault and offer advice.....
I am happy to run any tests needed...