cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Plusnet Fibre Own Router/Setup

TonySoprano
Hooked

Moving to Plusnet Fibre Own Router/Setup

Im moving to Plusnet Fibre package Its dissapointing to see that with FTTC you go back to the adsl old days of modem plus router anyway Ive kind of got a nice neat setup at the (existing equipment tucked away nicely) and I dont want to upset Mrs S by dirtying her hallway with a fibre modem. Additional Im IT network savvy have my own tools I wouldnt mind having a chat to the engineer or someone in support so that A) I can ensure everything is in place for an easy installation and B) the site'ing of the modem so that its non intrusive in Mrs S's nice newly decorated hallway.
The obvious and easiest solution would be to relocate the master socket a couple of meters at most so I wanted to speak to someone regarding this
Lastly I already have a router capable of WAN to Fibre Modem connectivity I will likely just shelve the plusnet router as mine offers greater flexibility configuration wise so really I could make the engineers visit a quick one Is there anyone in plusnet support techie enough to understand my issues and advise?
Many Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Re: Moving to Plusnet Fibre Own Router/Setup

I'm not a Plusnet techie.
BT Openreach have ways of getting the modem where you actually want it: converting an existing extension socket to a master socket, or using a data extension kit (a long telephone cable). Additionally, they might even be persuaded to move the socket. What they will actually do seems to depend on the engineer so I'd suggest having the kettle ready and a packet of biscuits available...
You can use your own router, as you have a compatible one. My plusnet-supplied fibre router is still in its shrink wrap.
TonySoprano
Hooked

Cool I'll make sure he gets a bacon butty too Wink Also I have a vigor 2820 (draytek) superior router IMO so like yours my PN router will be confined to the cupboard for the foreseeable
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I use a couple of 2820s for VPN between our office and customer site. It should be fine for FTTC,  just configure WAN2 for PPPoE with your PlusNet username and password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CraigLondon

Hi, I realise is an old thread but I dont suppose you have the settings I should be using on WAN2 for the Draytek to connect to the BT modem?
Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I've not actually used WAN2 for PPPoE but from what I can see you need to enable WAN2, configure for PPPoE with your PlusNet username (yourusername@plusdsl.net) and password. Leave everything else on the WAN2 setup as defaults.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CraigLondon

Thank you MisterW will try it when I get in
Cheers
CraigLondon

Thank you MisterW all working now. I am not sure what I did wrong last time but as you said PPPoE with just the credentials and I am up and running
dragon2611
Grafter

If you tried just after the Openreach engineer had installed the modem it's possible that your account wasn't "live" on plusnet's systems yet.
I had that when I switched over from Sky the plusnet LNS's were rejecting my username/password so called plusnet and they changed the account to activated in their system pretty much as soon as they hit that button my router had logged in.
dick:quote