cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Infinity 2 FTTP. Is this a migration?

madjbright
Grafter

Moving to Infinity 2 FTTP. Is this a migration?

Due to the fact that PlusNet could not provide me with FTTP without passing the excess construction charge on to me (see post 677 at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,83633.672.html) I have been forced to order Infinity 2 FTTP from BT Retail. It appears that they are picking up the excess construction charges. I have been asked for no MAC. So will this be considered as a migration when I ask for my ADSL connection to be terminated or will I have to pay the termination charge?
9 REPLIES 9
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Moving to Infinity 2 FTTP. Is this a migration?

Hi madjbright,
Sorry to hear that we couldn't swallow the cost and sorry to hear that you're leaving.
If you're migrating away, you shouldn't have any cessation costs to pay however this wouldn't mean any further contractual or notice period costs wouldn't come into play but when you call the Customer Options team to get the MAC code, they should be able to talk you through this and explain any costs that could be involved.
petecov44
Grafter

God I wish they would offer it to me costs or not.
madjbright
Grafter

I do not believe that the BT Retail FTTP installation will require a MAC. I have not been asked for one so far and they are suggesting an installation date of 19th September (although I an doubtful about that). As FTTP is installed over a completely separate infrastructure there is actually no reason that I am aware of that I could not keep both ADSL and FTTP at the same time. So I suspect that the first time that I speak to PlusNet officially will be to request the termination of the ADSL.
madjbright
Grafter

petecov44, I am not being offered FTTP exactly, but it is the only choice that I have for fibre broadband. Read the TBB post linked to from the FTTP Trial post for more details.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi madjbright,
I remember trying to provide for you. I was absolutely gutted that they came back with excess charges on your provide as it's so rare with standalone FTTP, and you were so close to your local aggregation node.
It depends on the type of order placement that BT do. They can do it either by migration, or as a standalone provide.
If they have already placed an order for you, it is likely to be the latter. In which case a termination charge would apply. However I'd recommend double checking it with BT.
Thanks,
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
AndyH
Grafter

Doesn't this raise a wider issue though of why are BT Retail not subject to the excessive construction charge? I cannot believe that they are going to eat a several thousand pound charge themselves...
madjbright
Grafter

I agree with you that there is a question about who is paying the change and why. As I understand it the full charge is something like £4200. Openreach will pay the first £1000 and they expect the ISP to pay the rest somehow. PlusNet wanted to pass it on to me. BT Retail are somehow managing not to. This is not as if I am in the middle of a field somewhere. The problem is that there is no ducting as the copper was installed with armoured cable. So the existing cable needs to be overlaid with ducting for the fibre. The £4200 covers all 16 houses in our close as far as I can ascertain. BT Retail now has 3 orders which may have a bearing on their ability to cover the cost. But at the end of the day PlusNet is owned by BT in the same way that BT Retail is. I would much rather stay withPlusNet, but not at the cost of £3200.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: madjbright
petecov44, I am not being offered FTTP exactly, but it is the only choice that I have for fibre broadband. Read the TBB post linked to from the FTTP Trial post for more details.

Fair enough mate and I will have a look
What winds me up is there are people in this country with 1Gbps both ways. Now I don't know how much it costs the company to give it but I would happily pay full price to have that. You would have thought it would make someone in some sales department somewhere moist but no one seems to give a fig. I did try BT as my exchange says it can do 300/30 but I am told that only a few engineers trialled it and nothing came from it.
Another reason this country is now Britain, Just Britain, it's all divided to the point of stupidity.
AndyH
Grafter

Why would you need a symmetrical 1Gbps connection though?