Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my router?

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Moving my router?

My master phone socket was renewed 3 years ago by BT and replaced with one that has a built in filter so I can't simply move the router. I live mainly the other side of the house and my tablet won't receive a signal tho' my laptop is fine so I could just boost the signal however, I would also like to run an ethernet cable to my TV but it would need to be about 60ft long and go through 3 brick walls. So first question, Is there a limit on the length of cabling before the signal degrades? I assume the shorter the better?  and second, Would it make a difference if the socket to router cable was extended so my tablet stands a better chance of picking up the signal instead of just using a longer ethernet cable to the TV?
I suppose the other solution is to get OR to move the master socket but I'v heard they are not always keen to do that and I have no idea what the cost would be.

14 REPLIES 14
quelquod
Pro

Re: Moving my router?

You can have a maximum length of ethernet link of 100 meters even on gigabit so your 60 feet is no problem. Extending the incomer by 60 feet to resite the router wouldn't be an issue either.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Exactly. You'll get the same performance from a 1-metre ethernet cable as a 100-metre one, so ethernet is ideal for almost all domestic installations (assuming you can run the cable).
Personally I use 4-core CW1308 cable for ethernet in my house - that's fine for 100mbps and is easier to run and less visible than the 8-core Cat5e you need for Gigabit.
(you may even find that your router came with a short 4-core ethernet cable - many do to save money)
And don't even get me started on the irrelevance of Cat6 in the typical home!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mayfly,
If you remove the faceplate from the socket, is there another socket behind or is it just a bunch of wires?
You could use a longer RJ11 cable to move the router nearer to where you want it, but that can (although not always) cause issues. It may be worth a try.
Jojo Smiley
Mayfly
All Star

Thanks for the replies - Jojo I'll have a look tomorrow behind the face plate.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Aren't powerline adapters likely to provide a more convenient remote connection for you?
David
Mayfly
All Star

Thanks spraxyt that's one option I had forgotten about. I need to work out what would be the best route for the ethernet cable.
Jojo there is a test socket behind the face plate that the telephone plugs into on the right hand side then wires on the left, it's an OR v1.0 socket.
Mayfly
All Star

Think I've decided to go down the powerline route. I have read I need a plugin for each item so that would be 1 for the TV and 1 for my tablet. However if  I buy one that has both wifi and an ethernet connection can I run the 2 items from that?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, connecting the router to an powerline adapter via Ethernet, then having a remote Wi-Fi + Ethernet adapter should work. I think the same SSID can be used on the router and remote as long as different channels are used.
David
wncfc
Grafter

Can't decide if it would help you, but Solwise do a Homeplug with wifi and two ethernet connectors.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Joanne
You could use a longer RJ11 cable to move the router nearer to where you want it, but that can (although not always) cause issues.

Moving the router higher will often improve the wireless range a little.  So on top of a tall book case or similar tall piece of furniture might help. 
valart
Grafter

I moved my router from upstairs to downstairs and plugged my router into the main socket and it made a big difference I had many years of dropped connections and slow speeds but the last few months have been wonderful this is really what I call broadband which I missed for so long.
Mayfly
All Star

Well after realising that my house extension is not on the same ring main I decided to buy a Netgear WN600 RP WiFi extender - but I can't get it to connect to the router, a Belkin Surf 300. My devices will connect to the extender fine. I followed both sets of instructions [press the WPS button to allow auto connection and followed the set up wizard] but I still can't get it to connect the router. Following the wizard everything is fine until right at the end and it says 'Internet connection lost, manually add the MAC address', which I did do but it makes no difference.
I think it's the router security stopping the connection but don't know what else to try - I guess a call to Belkin first [as it's an 0845 number then Netgear on an 0844 number]
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've used powerlines on sockets that not only were on different ring mains, but connect to two different old wired style fuse boxes.
Do you still have issues getting the extender to connect if it is in the same room as your router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mayfly
All Star

Yes I can't get it to 'see' the router at all - at one point it was sat at the side of the router. On the box it says press the WPS button on the router first and in the instructions it says press the button on the extender first - not sure which is the best way!
One thing I did notice tho' the blue light on the router for the WPS button only comes on if I click via the router page - there is no light if I press the button on the router.