Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my broadband experience

Vikpal
Grafter

Re: Moving my broadband experience

Thanks James.
The issue still is that the connection is not stable. Its a lit bit better with the Voyager, in the sense that I can now be connected for 15-20 mins at a time rather than the < 5 it was earlier.
Strangely, the master socket downstairs gives worse readings than the one upstairs. Also, the Netgear DG834G is more unreliable than the Voyage 105. The former is just 3 months old, the latter around 3 years when I first signed up with PN.
What are my options now? I would want to stick around if only I could get a stable connection, despite the lower speed, so may try it out for a few more days. Is there a solution to this problem or am I stuck because of a bad line? Are there filters that can help in this case? Would BT be able to sort this out?
Lastly, if I dont get a stable connection, I take it then, I will not be liable for the contract? Been with PN for 3 years and didnt have a contract, but signed up for one so that I could get the move for free.
Sorry for the many questions.
James
Grafter

Hi Vikpal,
If the new router doesn't sort things out, then we'd be able to get BT involved for you.
If we couldn't get your connection to work properly, then I imagine you would be within your rights to leave the contract early.  But then, I'm no lawyer Smiley
Vikpal
Grafter

James,
I dont mind getting the new router, but I dont see how it will improve things? Two different  modems and it is still the same result. Moreover, the attenuation is at 63.5 dB, supposedly some modems only report to 63.5 dB is strict conformance to some standards when the real attenuation may be higher. You must have performed a WOOSH test since you saw the attenuation go down by 0.5 dB.
Would it not be possible to involve BT?
BTW I did a test at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
BT Line Speed Estimation
Fixed ADSL:  512 kbps (0.5 Mb)
DSL Max :    500 kbps (0.5 Mb)
21CN WBC : Not Available
Fixed:  1Mbps and 2Mbps not possible
radsl: 512Kbps and 256Kbps available
MAX: ADSL Max is available
SDSL: Exchange Not Enabled
TPON: No info
Check: The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc

adsl 1 linecode : RGEC
  dslmax linecode: REGEGEC
  sdsl linecode:
I am 3.6 km from the exchange as per that site, which seems correct. I belong to THEAR exchange.
My main grouse right now is the lack of a stable connect.
James
Grafter

Hi Vikpal,
From what you've posted so far suggests that your Voyager is performiong better than your Netgear.
I understand that your main issue is stability, and I was offering the Thomson Router as a chance to remain on wireless, but to also rule out hardware failure.  If you're still seeing intermittency, we'd get BT involved for you.
Vikpal
Grafter

Ok James
How do I pay the S&H?
James
Grafter

S&H?
Do you mean the delivery charge?  If so, that's just a card payment which I can take once you've said that you're okay for me to do so.
Vikpal
Grafter

Sorry yes. delivery.
I would like the Thompson router with the associated contract for 12 months
I dont have a card on file, just direct debit.  Should I call customer service.
James
Grafter

If you could possibly add a card via your Member Centre, I'll be able to sort everything out for you.
Vikpal
Grafter

Done!
Card details updated
thanks again for the help! Lets hope this works out!
Vikpal
Grafter

Hmmm, no sync at all this morning.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I've ordered the router for you today.
It should be with you on Friday.
Vikpal
Grafter

Hello James

I got the router yesterday afternoon. Hooked it up at around 4 pm. Before that I was using the Voyager 105, and managed a sustained connection for 2-3 hours at 2 Mbps. Even the BT speed test showed 1800 kbps actual throughput.
Hooking the Thompson, it worked for about 20 mins and then lost sync. The attenuation was around 61 dB. After that there is absolutely no sync now. Even the Voyager manages a sync of around 448/460 kbps for a couple of seconds and drops out. So from yesterday evening and this morning there is no sync at all. This is also coincident with the fact that I heard hisses on the line last evening when making a call.
I have tried different sockets, modems and filters.
Bottom line no sync as of now. Any chance you can get BT involved?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If there is noise on the line you need to close down your broadband fault and raise a voice fault. The reason you need to close the broadband fault is that BT won't accept the voice fault with an open broadband fault.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Vikpal
Grafter

There is no fault open with BT yet.
Plus the noise is intermittent. I have only heard it yesterday.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can a person you are talking to hear the noise? If so keep checking the phone and when you can hear noise ring to report a fault. Make sure you speak to an operator and ask them if they can hear the noise - if they can ask them to note that as the fault is intermittent.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)