Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house.

x6x7
Dabbler

Moving house.

Hello,
I am currently with a Metronet package and will be moving house in the next couple of months. I will be buying my new house about 2 weeks before moving out of my current one. The house I am moving to is currently with Plusnet broadband and I think a BT line. When I move I would like to move on to a Plusnet package (probably with phone) rather than a metronet package.
I would like as far as possible to avoid being without broadband during the move. Can anyone advise how I need to go about this to minimise any disconnection/reconnection fees and minimise the amount of time I might be without broadband after moving? Is it likely to take more than the 2 weeks to get online in the new property?
Thank you,
Matt
13 REPLIES 13
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

Re: Moving house.

Depends on how friendly you are with the people in the house currently, If you can get 5 min to sit down with them at their computter, and their happy with it, you can just transfer the current account details to your name, and billing details to your card/account.  Just get them to log into the Members section on the mail plus.net page, and then let you on to change over the details, I recomend changing billing details first, since changing the password in the memer center affects the broadband login password also.
That would be the quickest way to do it.
Then, once you are in and settled, you can pick out which package you want and upgrade/downgrade as you like.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The trouble with that is the account will still be in the name of the previous occupants, and you'll be lucky if you can get a name change on an account without BT removing the Broadband and it needing to be reprovided.
The best bet would be to get the line changed into your name as soon as possible and at the same time request a Simultaneous Provide reference from BT. Then when you place the house move order via the members centre request a sim provide there and add the reference you got from BT onto the ticket. This should ensure that your broadband and phone line are activated at the new property on the same day which should be the date that you request.
Hope that helps,
zubel
Community Veteran

When requesting the "Sim Reprovide code" from BT, don't forget the chicken blood, the pentagram and the witches hat.  Also, if you're familiar with the "sim reprovide success dance", I would recommend performing it at least twice daily (early morning and late evening) to ensure the greatest amount of success.
On a more serious note - I had a SIM reprovide done when I moved into my current house, and it worked flawlessly, YMMV.
B.
x6x7
Dabbler

Folks,
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I will be going down the simultaneous provide route and should be able to make the new phone line request about 10-14 days before actually wanting to switch the service from old to new house.
Can I check a couple of things...
1) If I am wanting to go with the plusnet phone package (incl line rental) in the new house, do I still need to contact BT to get the phone line changed in to my name? If so, what sort of package do I need them to set up so that I will be paying the line rental to plusnet?
2) Does it matter when completing the house move form on plusnet that I am currently with a metronet account and will be wanting the account in the new house to be plusnet option 2? Is there any penalty for breaking a metronet contract mid month and going on to a new plusnet account?
Cheers,
Matt
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Why not switch from Metronet to PN immediately?
x6x7
Dabbler

Certainly an option. How do I do that?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ask PN I guess.
There was a post about it by a PN staff member just minutes ago I recall - sounded easy, try a search?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

x6x7
Dabbler

Thanks mr coo
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi x6x7,
If you're wanting to move to Plusnet at the same time you'll need to sign up for a new dialup account on Plusnet, and request the sim provide on that account - you'll also need to request cancellation on the metronet account but if you give details of the PN account on the ticket you won't be charged for this (also if you request the cancellation today you'll avoid the £20 cancellation fee).
That would probably be the best way to go about it.
Hope that helps,
Matt
x6x7
Dabbler

Am just returning to this thread after a few weeks away. In the meantime I have switched from metronet to plusnet on my original broadband.
Essentially all I am wanting to do now is move my plusnet broadband to my new address on 17th December having taken owenership of the new property 2pm on 11th December.
Apologies for being a bit dense here but I just need to clarify the advice given. Is this right?.....
1) Contact BT in advance of 11th Dec to ask them to transfer the existing BT line in to my name as of 2pm 11th December
2) At the time ask for a simultaneous provide reference number from BT explaining I will need the broadband too.
3) Put that number in the moving house form on plusnet site stating I need braodband to be transferred on 17th December.
Will I have to pay the £20 to disconnnect existing broadband? Presumably so.
Thank you  Undecided
James
Grafter

You won't have to pay the £20 if you do it as a deferred house move.
Also, if you could ask BT to get the sim provide reference ASAP, as we need at least 8 days to place such an order and the sooner the better Smiley
x6x7
Dabbler

James - thank you. I have now got an order no. from BT to activate my new home on 11th December. They told me it was the refrence no. for my new order although didn't call it a sim provide ref although I did ask about this. They said broadband and telephone would be available on the line as from 11th Dec.
I want to keep my broadband active on the current line until 17th December. In order to avoid the £20 deactivation by doing a 'deferred' house move do I use the online form or do I need to phone you? I note the online form won't allow an overlap period of broadband on both new and old numbers. I'm not too worried about having broadband on the new house until the 17th but it would be nice to avoid the £20 fee if possible.
I think I need idiot-proof instructions on what to do next!
Cheers,
Matt