cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house question

KaotiK
Grafter

Moving house question

Hey, basically i may be moving house next month again. My question is because i work from home ideally i dont want to lose a day without broadband..
is there a way to move my broadband so the day it cuts off at my old property its activated at my new property? i read the help section about simultaneous order but im not sure if thats it? or how it works?
cuz the last time i moved BT wouldnt give me a sim code and it was a nightmare Sad
thx
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Moving house question

A sim provide would definitely be the best way, though if it's going to work we need at least 7 working days between us getting the code and the date the phone service is due to be provided on - if we don't have this we can't place the order. Best bet would be to order the new phone line a couple of weeks before you move in (tell the sales agent you'd like a sim provide code when you place the order) and pass this on to us ideally on the same day with the date of provision, that should work alright.
Hope that helps,
KaotiK
Grafter

So you mean when the phone line is activated, give the code to you then and tell you the date i want it to be done for? or do i do all that as soon as i get the code and not when its actually activated
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, if you wait until the phone line is activated there won't be enough time to provide the broadband at the same time. You should ask for a Simultaneous Provide when you place the order for the phone line, and when you place this order please make sure there's at least 7 working days before the line is due to activate.
Then, as soon as you have the code, pass that on to us and we'll be able to get the broadband order placed. This will only work if there's at least 7 working days before the phone is due to activate though. That way both the phone and broadband orders should be provided at the same time.
Hope that helps,
KaotiK
Grafter

ok so does that mean my broadband at the old property wont be cut off untill that day also?
so say for example i wanted everything done for the 1st of april, a week before id ask BT to activate the line and get a sim code, then pass it on to you?
what if BT activate before 7 days, will that screw it all up?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: KaotiK
ok so does that mean my broadband at the old property wont be cut off untill that day also?

Your existing line should be cut off on the date the phone and broadband is due to be provided, yes.
so say for example i wanted everything done for the 1st of april, a week before id ask BT to activate the line and get a sim code, then pass it on to you?

A week won't give us enough time. Remember we need at least 7 working days, so best to leave two weeks at least (that's 10 working days so should be alright).
what if BT activate before 7 days, will that screw it all up?

Depends what they're activating - as we're talking about a simultaneous provide they should be activating both the phone and the broadband at the same time, so if it happens early, you should get both services early.
KaotiK
Grafter

ok i think i understand it now.. lol
Just for info, Would an easier way to be to order new broadband, a totally different account at the new property in advance, then when i leave my old property phone up and cancel this one?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's the same difference either way really, bear in mind if you are ordering a new account then you'll most likely still want the simultaneous provide so you still need 2 weeks' notice for that. The only difference is that way you can cancel the existing account when you wish (there won't be any problems doing that if you've opened a new account Smiley )
Hope that helps,
KaotiK
Grafter

how come id still need the sim code for thaT? if i order broadband on my new property on a new account it usually only takes a week to be setup after ordering doesnt it? well thats what mine was when i first started Cheesy
tsunami70

I recently moved and was hoping for a same day switchover - unfotunately BT couldnt give me a sim code "due to a technical problem"  Angry  and i had to wait. In reality though, the BB line was on 2 days after the phone line so it wasnt too bad (having speed issues though).
It might be worth calling up BT and asking if they're able to provide you with a sim code just to check...  Undecided
Alan