cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home!

drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Moving home!

Hey need a quick bit of advice! I'm going to be moving to a new flat in the next couple of weeks and need to move my phone line and broadband over asap after I get the keys. I don't know if the flat has got a phone line installed until I get the pack from the letting agency (I suspect it doesn't as it's a new build). Is it easier to do a Simultaneous cease and reprovide and if so who do plusnet prefer me to approach first? Them or BT? Or is it preferred to get the phoneline installed and active and then move my broadband?
Cheers guys!
6 REPLIES 6
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Moving home!

When I moved from Mildenhall  to Portsmouth last year, I contacted BT regarding the changeover of ownership, and they gave me a new number for the new address, and a Date/time for the activation of the new number, to coincide with the moving date......  I can`t remember what happened about the internet, I think I was still on Dial-up at the time. It did not seem to be a problem..... perhaps you had better organise a dial-up connection so you can have "immediate" internet, when you move in, and then sort out your broadband after.... (just a few thoughts)..... Of course, if the flat hasn`t got a BT line, then I suppose you will have to organize that  first...
Undecided
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
When I moved from Mildenhall  to Portsmouth last year,  Undecided

Should be quieter without  all those noisy planes from USAF
puddy
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

After living just below the flight deck of an Aircraft Carrier for 2 years, I have an aquired taste for avgas, and the noise and vibrations when the jets take off, and land.  Mildenhall was very quiet comparatively.  I used to go up to the bridge and signal flag deck (when off duty) just to watch the planes.....
see my comment below about cruising....
also watch channel 5 tonight at 9 pm  (much more modern than mine in 1965/66
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: drunkenmonkey
Hey need a quick bit of advice! I'm going to be moving to a new flat in the next couple of weeks and need to move my phone line and broadband over asap after I get the keys. I don't know if the flat has got a phone line installed until I get the pack from the letting agency (I suspect it doesn't as it's a new build). Is it easier to do a Simultaneous cease and reprovide and if so who do plusnet prefer me to approach first? Them or BT? Or is it preferred to get the phoneline installed and active and then move my broadband?
Cheers guys!

A SIM provide would be the best way to go, but you may struggle with the timescale. You'd need to approach BT first, and need at least 10 days to do a SIM phone and broadband provide.
If there is some wiring in the property but not an active line as such then it's probably quicker to connect the line and then the broadband in any case but obviously it depends what's there.
If you've got an address I can check it for you?
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Thanks Mand I will PM it to you!
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Well BT can't do a sim provide for my account for some reason! Got a set-up date of 3rd July but if the engineer does a new build site survey before then it will be quicker, so I assume that even though I have a provisional new number, I should wait before moving my broadband?