cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved from Plusnet Pro to Premium - iplayer slow?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Moved from Plusnet Pro to Premium - iplayer slow?

I think that iPlayer downloads used to come from Akamai now apparently from Level 3 and they are both listed
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3663-bbc-faces-criticism-on-iplayer-hosting-change.html
In a blog post by Anthony Rose, head of BBC Digital Media Technology, it has emerged that the BBC is in the process of switching its iPlayer hosting from current content distribution network (CDN) Akamai to Level 3 Communications prompting concern from a number of service providers about the increased cost burden this is likely to place on them.
bethandsteve

Fair enough guv, got me beat there, but I hope you don't mind me saying that your response smacks slightly of "read the small print". I am buying Residential broadband here - I wouldn't expect my Mum to know that the hosting provider the BBC use would affect this kind of thing.
Can you clarify my experience of the usage graphs and previous categorisation of the traffic as "streaming"?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Not me guv - I am just a customer like you  Roll_eyes
But this came up a long time ago when iPlayer streaming was being classified as downloads and you can imagine the screams about that  Lips_are_sealed
Regarding usage graphs - as far as I know that is all monitored on the basis of the wireshark coding and if it is 0x80 it is streaming. Mind you I could be completely wrong about that  Embarrassed
WWWombat
Grafter

I'm trying to make an informed decision about whether to go Pro or Premium, based on trying to work out how my usage gets classified by PlusNet.
I'm not impressed to find that even when you're on the products you can't get your usage classified in a way you can understand!!!
That means I can't run any experiments to watch my usage categorisations, and expect that to stay in the same category if I choose to change product.
On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't trust the usage categories anyway. Apparently I've used 145MB on broadband phone calls, which is an impressive amount considering there's no broadband phoning going on...
And the usage categories don't quite map to the list of download restrictions (no VPN).
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
The classification isn't going to be 100% accurate, but it should be enough to give you a guide as to what your usage is.
On Pro you're more likely to get traffic misidentified, because everything is Gold or better.
@bethandsteve, we wouldn't expect everyone to know the finer details of our traffic management policy but we publish it for the people who are aware. I don't think there's another ISP that gives this much detail as to exactly how they manage what traffic and when. There's always room for improvement there.
@WWWombat, it's likely you're using something classifed in the same category as VoIP, perhaps a VPN?
All, just out of interest, would it be more helpful to show how much of your usage was classified at what level?
WWWombat
Grafter

@Mand,
The wife uses a VPN, but it never seems to coincide with the times that the PN stats say VoIP is being used.
She says she does some streaming of MP3's from websites, but more downloading those than anything else... but not Voip.
I guess that ought to be classified as either streaming or download.
Some of my SSH uses 1723 instead of 22, so may well get recognised as VPN, but it usually gets used at typing speeds, so probably doesn't show up on any usage charts.
I guess that knowing what level it gets classified as (I guess you mean platinum, gold etc) will help if you are having throughput problems that you want to identify.
For me it would be useful on only very odd occasions - but others will have different answer here.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi WWWombat,
That SSH traffic will almost certainly be it.