Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move to ADSL2+, download speeds and plusnet profiles

rgschofield
Dabbler

Move to ADSL2+, download speeds and plusnet profiles

Hi,
Could someone confirm that my understanding is correct please.
Recently moved to ADSL2+ (just over 5 days ago) and have the following router stats :
Uptime: 5 days, 13:46:20
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,151 / 16,399
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 1.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.5 / 25.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.0
And from http://speedtester.bt.com :
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :16399 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1151 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 14000 Kbps

However, plusnet are quoting the following :
Phone exchange:
    CHANDLERS FORD
Estimated line speed:
    8 - Checked on 2010-02-24 13:17:18
Current line speed:
Is this 7,150 what sometimes is referred to as the 'plusnet profile' ?
My download speeds are around the 5.0 to 6.5 Mbps. Is this down to the 7,150 line speed plusnet are quoting. Would a simple plusnet profile nudge be likely to improve my actual download speeds.
I have a ticket open, but length delays between replies and the latest suggestion that the speeds could be limited by traffic shaping (unlikely, since speeds don't change substantially throughout the day and peak at 6.5Mbps even after midnight) are somewhat frustrating. Should I be expecting download speeds above 6.5Mbps ?
Many Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Move to ADSL2+, download speeds and plusnet profiles

Yes, the Current line speed setting is what is referred to as the 'Plusnet profile' That should automatically be set to the same value as BT's IP Profile (14000) when a delta report comes through from BT - 12-24 hours after BT change their profile.
The CSC can (and should have) changed that in response to your ticket. The response you mention is poor in my opinion. If the automatic process has still not made the change I suggest calling the CSC and request the change - and insist. The person you speak to might not be able to change the setting but a supervisor should be available who can.
Once changed you will have to disconnect from Plusnet then reconnect to pick up the revised service profile. The Thomson router allows that without re-syncing (button on the right of the top-level Broadband Connection page).
David
rgschofield
Dabbler

Many thanks for the information. Most appreciated.  Smiley
Mand picked up my ticket and all is looking better, although there is probably still some room for improvement I guess, given a profile of 14,000.

For others switching to ADSL2+ based products, the main lessons I learnt were (your mileage may vary) :
a) A move to a 'up to 20Mbps' product doesn't automatically mean you will be switched to a 'up to 20Mbps'. You will probably need to request the switch to ADSL2+ following the product change.
b) Check your plusnet profile ("current line speed") against your BT IP profile. They should automatically update, but seems like they don't always.
c) Mand and the other Plusnet staff who frequent these boards are the reason that I would still recommend Plusnet, following the slight hiccup in some of the other "customer service" I have received over the last few weeks. Thanks to you all.
Mand
Grafter

Your profile's updated to 14000 our side now, might be worth a reboot to make sure it's picked up the new profile (though I'd avoid doing this during the evening if at all possible).
rgschofield
Dabbler

Your update of my profile to 14,000 certainly made a noticeable difference - prior to the update the download speeds were consistently around the 6.5Mbps mark. Following the update they jumped to ~ 7.5Mbps. They've subsequently crept up a bit more to around 8.5Mbps. I'm assuming that the move to ADSL2+ triggers a 10-day re-training period ? If so, is anything magical likely to happen once the 10 days are up ?  Cheesy
I have disconnected the Thompson router from the internet but haven't actually rebooted it. I'll try a reboot over the weekend and see where that takes me.
Thanks again
Richard
Mand
Grafter

I'd expect you to see better than 8500 on a 14000 profile tbh, but there might also be a better speed for you yet.
The last time you connected was at ~6:15pm on a weekday, which is not the best time to connect tbh, a morning reboot would give you optimum conditions.
rgschofield
Dabbler

Now this is more like !  Smiley

Many Thanks for all your help.
Richard