Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mods - Damn cheek

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Mods - Damn cheek

I started a poll to see if people would still recommend people to PlusNet now they have introduced the 18 month contract and a damned moderator has locked it to prevent people voting because they are starting their own, so they say. What gives the moderators the right to prevent a user from running a poll just because they want to run their own one? To say I am lived is an understatement. This may be the final nail in the coffin that will make me start looking for another ISP.
84 REPLIES 84
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Mods - Damn cheek

I can't comment on the decision to change your poll, but do bear in mind that the forum moderators are not employed by PlusNet, they are just customers like the rest of us who volunteer their time. Whether or not the change was reasonable, this should not be a reason to change ISP.
scootie
Grafter

users like are selfs and iam sure there is a gd reason why they want to run the 18 month poll in week.
i can assure you the mods are working in a favour not against us.
thats why they go to the trouble of having voting for new mods.
its shame that not so few comutinty users actualy vote in the mod elections.
my personal view on why they want to run it in a week is to give the change of products more time to sink in with us all so we then know all the facts and figures before voting. just my humble view may be wrong
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A very good reason for not running the poll now is that Plusnet have had a lot of feedback and should be given time to come to their senses. If they don't - a week after launch would seem reasonable - then a poll would be appropriate.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zubel
Community Veteran

That is exactly the point.
Plusnet are taking our feedback on-board in the first week of the product launch.  Also, all the various options available are settling into people's minds.
Next week, I'll run a poll on the 18 month contracts - hopefully including plenty of 'options' to choose from which encompass a lot of the ideas put forward in the Product Refresh thread, and then Plusnet will be able to see the most popular options.
I've already closed two other polls on the subject, so I haven't singled you out to persecute you.
B.
mitchell20
Grafter

Well then do you not think (as a moderator) that you might be better if you posted a note somewhere asking users not to post a poll at the moment, rather than getting users backs up by removing polls after they have been posted?
geewizz
Grafter

I saw this action last night and I commend the mod for it. The poll was poorly composed and liable to show only one thing; that knees jerk. The explanation given on the thread for the closure of the poll was adequate.
glloyd
Rising Star

I question YOUR authority to decide if a user can run a poll or not as long as it is within the forum rules. If the mods are going to start censoring what polls are allowed and which are not based on what THEY want to run then this forum has sunk to a pretty low level. Who are you to decide YOU can run a poll but others cannot? This is an abuse of your position.
Quote from: Barry
That is exactly the point.
Plusnet are taking our feedback on-board in the first week of the product launch.  Also, all the various options available are settling into people's minds.
Next week, I'll run a poll on the 18 month contracts - hopefully including plenty of 'options' to choose from which encompass a lot of the ideas put forward in the Product Refresh thread, and then Plusnet will be able to see the most popular options.
I've already closed two other polls on the subject, so I haven't singled you out to persecute you.
B.
glloyd
Rising Star

So what are you saying - We now have to ask permission from Mods if someone wants to run a poll in case one of them wants to run a poll?  Since when did the mods own these forums? There was nothing knee jerk about it, it was a simply question.
Quote from: geewizz
I saw this action last night and I commend the mod for it. The poll was poorly composed and liable to show only one thing; that knees jerk. The explanation given on the thread for the closure of the poll was adequate.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Surely, sending a PM to the OP informing of the moderators' intentions to run a poll next week and offering him the oportunity to close his poll in the light of that would have been better? Plus, of course, a sticky indicating your intended poll.
I, for one, would not have voted yet as I agree that it is too early and we need more time to allow PN to respond to everything discussed so far. BUt the OP should have been allowed to continue with his poll if he so wished.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

scootie
Grafter

shall we have a poll now to see who wants the OP to run the 18month poll now and who wants to let the mods set it up in a weeks time.
poll fever Cheesy
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
...Next week, I'll run a poll on the 18 month contracts - hopefully including plenty of 'options' to choose from which encompass a lot of the ideas put forward in the Product Refresh thread, and then Plusnet will be able to see the most popular options...

Although the 18 month contract is a large part it isn't the only part in my mind that needs addressing by Plusnet. I look forward to a Poll which encompasses the options too.
Spider
Grafter

Although I can understand why the mods don't want to see multiple polls on similar grounds and prefer to keep all votes for one mod created poll next week this does not automatically give them the right to close a poll. Their is nothing in the forum rules that says a customer can't start a poll and as long as this poll complies with the forum rules then it should have been left open, unless the original poster decided otherwise.
In my opinion the correct course of action would be to PM the poster, explain the situation and ask if they mind their poll being closed. Alternatively if the plan was to have only one poll started by the mods, then a formal announcement should have been made which makes a temp update to the rules.
In this case it seems neither of the above happen an as such it is censorship I too would not want to see this develop among our mod team who normally do a great job.
The_10th
Grafter

I agree with the sentiment and a PM should have been sent to all. These are desperate times at PN Towers and desperate actions look to have been taken.
Not a good week.  Sad
Lurker
Grafter

I haven't seen the poll in question, but I have to say that my initial reaction is that I struggle to see what make a moderator think that they have the right to prevent somebody doing or saying something that they want to now, on the basis that the mod might want to say something similar in future.
Community is a place for the community to participate in discussion, it is not a place just for specifics.
If a campaign is to be run on a specific matter, there are plenty of better ways to do it.
Another example of why I don't moderate here any more - people have forgotten what these boards are supposed to be for.
There would have been nothing to stop a contributor having a poll now, and then subsequently somebody having a similar but more detailed poll - in fact, some comparisons might have been drawn to ascertain whether perceptions changed over the course of a week, or whether they remained similar.
At PUG we are in the process of putting together quite a bit of info and argument for and against various aspects of the new product launch. But thats not a good reason to tell everybody to shut up now.