cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem not recognised by computer

umdinga
Dabbler

Re: Modem not recognised by computer

Still having no luck with this.  I am able to connect using the built in wireless network on desktop but it seems slower than ethernet would be.
I've been trying for hours to get it to connect using the ethernet but all I get is the unknown network local access only.  Tried resetting router and pc, factory reset of router, different cables and ports, deleting the network device and reinstalling drivers....  but nothing.  It can't be the router as I plugged the wife's laptop in using the cable and it automatically set up internet access.
Is there another way of manually inputting the setting on the desktop so that it can connect to the internet through the ethernet??? Maybe this is something to do with vista not recognising the router?Huh
I guess the alternative is to buy a higher speed wireless card but thats not really an ideal solution.  What would I have done if there was no wireless on my pc!
Serious help needed as I'm pulling my hair out
pengbo
Grafter

Try setting a static ip-address on the ethernet connection.  This link should show you how http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/ the vista section is half-way down.
If you are using the default router settings on the 192.168.1.0 sub net then you need to set your gateway to 192.168.1.254 and pick an unused ip-address in the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.252 range.  The net mask will be 255.255.255.0 as in the how to.  Finally you may need a static DNS I would use the router address 212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10 should do for the test.
If it works then you know your ethernet drivers and hardware are working.  You will just have to figure out why it won't use dhcp then.
umdinga
Dabbler

I tried setting up the Ethernet connection using plusnet assist and it goes right through the process then fails as it says something about firewall may be prevent ting connection and to try disabling antivirus software and try again (even when I've turned them off).
When I check the lan settings now it seems  to have given them IP addresses and settings automatically but still shows as unknown network and local only
Not sure if this makes sense to anyone, I'm still baffled
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Ethernet adaptors sometimes fail.  If it's a desktop PC you can buy a PCI Ethernet card very cheaply, but then again a wireless N adaptor isn't expensive.
pengbo
Grafter

Would agree with ReedRichards if setting a static ip-address failed it's more than likely duff.