Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Router advice

NatTheGooner
Grafter

Modem Router advice

Hi
The Technicolor router supplied by Plusnet is fine at the wired stuff but the wireless is rubbish. (I know - you all said that it would be)
I get 74meg speed wired and about 12meg through wireless and I've tried all the channels and it is bad. Web pages seem to stick and hang.
So I'm after a decent all-in-one Modem Router for Plusnet Fibre.
I do a bit of gaming on the Wii U and I get an OPEN NAT OK with the Technicolor, I borrowed a Homehub 3 but could only get a MODERATE NAT so anything I bought would have to be a good all rounder.
thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
NatTheGooner
Grafter

Re: Modem Router advice

I've been looking, and I still can't find an all-in-one Modem/Router to work with Plusnet Fibre
Any ideas anyone?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Routers with integrated VDSL2 modems are not particularly common, but they are available e.g.:
BT HomeHub 5
Billion 8200N
DrayTek 2860n
Technicolor 589vn
I don't have any experience of any of those so can't recommend any of them.
itsme
Grafter

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There seems to be a lot of kit out there - see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=9707.0
Also just do a Google search - the Frtiz!Box also comes to mind - expensive but respected.
Have you checked your wifi spectrum using the likes of inSIDDer?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would suggest the hub 5.
I use it on my BT infinity service and I find it really fast.
No need for the openreach modem!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Qdos

Whatever you do, remember to get something with IPv6 capacity because it'll be necessary sometime in the foreseeable future.
Unless you need simultaneous dual-band wifi I can thoroughly recommend both the Billion 7800 units, and the Draytek 2850/2860 series models.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

hub 5 is compatible with IPv6
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NatTheGooner
Grafter

Thanks for the help everyone.
I think I'll try the Homehub 5