cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Replacement - New Plusnet Policy?

yfront
Grafter

Modem Replacement - New Plusnet Policy?

After the lightening storms over the weekend one of my referral's contacted me to say his broadband light on the modem was flashing. He'd already spoken to Plusnet and was told how to reset the router and then promised a call back that never materialized.

I took an old router over that synced OK proving his router faulty.

We then called Plusnet to request a replacement but was asked to pay £40 plus postage.

Up until now faulty modems have been replaced just for the cost of postage, did the Plusnet agent have this wrong or is this a change of policy?

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Modem Replacement - New Plusnet Policy?

I MAY be wrong here, but a 'faulty' router is one which has an internal fault, not one fried by matters beyond Plusnets control.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think you're wrong at all @jab1, and makes perfect sense to me. But as your referral @yfront will need to buy a replacement, remember you don't have to buy from Plusnet, there are plenty others available for the same cost. Have a look on : http://kitz.co.uk if you need any recommendations.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Thanks @Anonymous - and agood point about alternatives.Thumbs_Up

John
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Have seen Hub Ones on E Bay for 20 squids.

Your referral should invest in a surge arrestor socket/adaptor for that socket.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Up until now faulty modems have been replaced just for the cost of postage, did the Plusnet agent have this wrong or is this a change of policy?

It would depend on the age of the device too and whether the customer was still in the minimum contract term.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
yfront
Grafter

Thanks for the response, would this mean he'd be eligible for a replacement within or outside of minimum contract?

On more than one occasion I've had referrals sent modems just to try, before Plusnet would progress a fault to Openreach so was under the impression that modem costs for Plusnet were minimal.

Been out to another referral this morning, filter and main socket blown apart by lightening and modem won't even light up, a really old one this time. I'll try again for this one.

I do try to look after your customers, my referrals, for you.

😉

Fred 

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@yfront wrote:

would this mean he'd be eligible for a replacement within or outside of minimum contract?

Potentially if the router was taken as part of the contract they're within the minimum term of.

If the account is out of the minimum term or the router was taken as part of a previous contract, I'm afraid it wouldn't be covered.

Having said this, if the account is no longer within the minimum term of a contract, they should also have the option to re-contract and take a new router for the P&P cost, as part of the new contract.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet