Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mitch / Techguy

James
Grafter

Re: Mitch / Techguy

Still can't get in Tongue
Either way, I'm not actually that bothered as I should be able to get the majoirty of needed stats from my end.
How are things looking from your perspective?
techguy
Grafter

Seems ok at the minute but seems to slow in the evenings (hence my assumption that the problem was at least partially due to the issues you were exoeriencing with your traffic management platform.
Anyway I doubt very much we can improve what is always going to be a variable connection because of distance from the exchange/local loop quality etc.
One question that did come to mind is, if I got the socket repaced with a proper openreach master one (obviously organised through PN) and fitted an iplate, do you reckone that would make much difference?

What would I be looking at in terms of cost to get that done through yourselves?
James
Grafter

I think you're looking at £25 or so to get a new socket installed and another £10-15 for an iPlate.
As to whether or not it would make a difference, I couldn't tell you.  It might, but given your line length you won't notice a massive difference.
techguy
Grafter

I'll stay as I am I think then.
will have to check when I move out and buy a house where the exchange is so I can get good broadband.
Seriously though, if things work out the way I want I intend to set up in business working from home so that would need to be a consideration.
James
Grafter

My first flat here was on the same road as the exchange Tongue
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
One question that did come to mind is, if I got the socket repaced with a proper openreach master one (obviously organised through PN) and fitted an iplate, do you reckone that would make much difference?

Unless any internal telephone wiring extensions are bodged up or are very long, the biggest single increase you can see without paying for an iplate and master socket would involve disconnecting the bell wire.  Google for details on how to disconnect it and if you cannot find it post back and I'll see what I can find.
You could see your attenuation reducing by anything up to 5dB which could get you a positively higher connection speed.
HTH.
techguy
Grafter

the socket is a bodge job done by the builders I hink (parents were out at work and I was at sixth form when it was done originally as an extension to the existing line, it was billed as BT but I don't think they had any hand in it whatsoever)
When we had the second line installed the engineer told me the wiring had been 'looped' at the enclosure on the side of the house which was wrong and I did ask whether the existing install was OK and he said yes no problem I am happy to approve it, so the new line was connected to the existing bodged wiring.
This means that I just have an extension type socket rather than what I believe is termed an NTE thus meaning I would need to literally unscew the whole thing from the wall rather than removing a panel to expose the wiring and I'd be concerned I might make the situation worse as goodness knows what they've done behind there!
itsme
Grafter

Not sure from your description whether you have 2 telehone lines or one telephone line with 2 extensions?
The NTE plate is only fitted to the master socket. To remove the bell wire require you to remove the extension faceplate and remove all wires other than the wires on 2 and 5. I would also suggest removing these at the master socket. When I did this to my system the SNR margin and attenuation improved significantly.
techguy
Grafter

Have two lines, the socket in question was fitted originally as an extension to the main line, however, we had an ADT monitored alarm fitted and were warned ADSL could interfere with the signalling so I had a second line fitted to support the ADSL and the socket was repurposed as the main socket for the second line, however the extension was done from the enclosure on the wall outsode rather than spurring off the master socket which I understand is th way it should be.
itsme
Grafter

The extension wiring can be done that way but I would say it's not normal, especially as the box outside is the property of BT and should not be opened. If you open up the bottom half of the master socket you will either see a 2 pair cable wired to it and if so remove all wires except  2 and 5 or you will only see one wire connected to pin 3 which should be removed.
techguy
Grafter

Just to keep this thread updated I've seen fairly consistant throughput of around 1 Meg so am happy but synch has stayed at 1250, the problems seem to arise when it raises above that.
techguy
Grafter

Sorry to dig up this old thread but think it is relevant to my question.
Has anyone with a similar line length to mine had positive results by fitting an iplate?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Mitch,
You would have been better starting a new thread as the title doesn't bear any significance to the "current" problem, and some of the information provided before is a bit confusing as part of the "history" is now irrelevant. However, that said, I've re-read the thread twice, so here goes -
As I understand it, you have 2 lines, each fed from an external BT termination box (grey, slightly wedge shape approx 4 3/4" x 3 1/2" ? - doen't matter if it's different, just gives us an idea of age).
One line is a standard phone line which additionally has an ADT monitored alarm on it. Is a DECT phone used on this line?
The 2nd (the line of interest) you are using purely for ADSL (no phone). This line appears to be terminated by an older style master socket and has no extensions. If this is correct, then you cannot use an i-plate.
See these links - http://www.shop.bt.com/Article.aspx?ArticleId=5124 http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html
http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/btiplate.html
It is possible that this "master" socket is an older style 65mm.sq. It also possible that it is fed from the external BT termination box by cable that is not to CW1308 standard (or better).
Have a look at the back of this "master" socket and see if it has any components - a surge supressor, a capacitor and a resistor, and the colour of the connected wiring - there should only be wires connected to terminals 2 & 5. Advise what is present and correct any information above that is wrong.
I assume that your line is stable at the sync you last posted (1250) and you wish try and achieve a higher stable sync speed.  Please advise if this is not the current situation.
If you want some constructive advice, you'll need to post some router ADSL stats - sync speed, attenuation and noise margin, both downstream and upstream.
Do you know what your current target SNRM is (ie without DMT)? If you are using DMT, what settings are you using for Target SNRM and when did you last re-sync? (the best time is daylight, not near sunrise/sunset).
If your line is dropping periodically, is there any pattern to this? If you re-sync your line post some router stats taken immediately after the re-sync. Do you have any plots of your SNRM from DMT?
Regards,
Chris.