Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miserably slow fibre

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Miserably slow fibre

You're posting quicker than me again!

I know it's a pain, but if the lines going out Openreach are the only ones who can ultimately get this sorted. Just need to keep pushing!
rich7767
Hooked

They've updated the firmware and 'run a script'!, but it's gotten worse if anything!  Resetting the router forces a new connection, the log indicates several errors but nothing points to a local issue, it's all traffic related and points toward a problem with the routing/comms traffic,

For my money it's a faulty connection at the local exchange box, in which case it won't matter who the fibre provider is, and getting BT to fix it will be challenging if they can't identify the cause... 

Hey ho, we'll see what transpires...  I'll keep plugging away - at least at work I only have one throat to choke @ BT..!   

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

You need a sync rate really. Check the stats in the router for line rate. If it was traffic errors it wouldn't drop the sync rate, just the throughput until DLM came in and dropped it, and a router reboot wouldn't bring that back.

If the sync is dropping down, then I'd say its a physical line issue or maybe a bad port at the cab, but the last engineer didn't find it-wouldnt be the first time and Pnet may have to push for a lift and shift if the copper is all fine. Still all goes down the faults route so just keep on the process so PN can push on OR-they dont like doing port changes!

Anyway, I agree with the getting late part. Calling it a night. Good luck with this one!
rich7767
Hooked

Yep, all points to the cab, and I've no faith in BT/Open-reach engineers competence!  And no, they don't like doing the port changes!

Thanks for the feedback, time to get some sleep - I'll resume my tirade by phone in the morning...  Again...

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@DDave 

Unfortunately this topic has been highjacked but to try to get back to your issue. You never advised whether you were testing speed over an Ethernet cable with no other users connected to the router. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DDave
Hooked

Yes speed is with ethernet cable with all other equipment disconnected
Baldrick1

The next step should be to go back to connecting to thetest socket and doing a speed test using this speed checker http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/. When finished go to the further diagnostics page and run this. The results will be logged for Plusnet to see. Note that the speed. tester can be unreliable with some browsers but works with Internet Explorer and Edge. If the results are below the minimum then report a fault to Plusnet.

As you are only 500m from the cabinet and the estimated speed is relatively slow you may be one of the unlucky ones whose lines were wired in aluminium cored cable instead of copper. This happened to some installed, I think, in the 1960/70s and causes all sorts of issues at broadband frequencies.

Edit.

I have just noticed that you have posted this on the ADSL board. Are you on the standard ADSL or fibre service?

Moderator and Customer

DDave
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick
Have just run the BT test 17.4 mbps download and 4 Mbps upload and that was WiFi not ethernet so very close to the minimum regarding cabling my house was built in the early 80s. Would there be any benefit rebooting the router not switched it off for a few weeks.
Baldrick1

WiFi tests are meaningless when checking the connection speed as you have no idea if any bottleneck is a wireless issue.

Going back to your original post I understand that you need between 15 to 25Mbps (depending on whether you ask Amazon or Netflix) to stream UHD so you may be on a hiding to nowhere anyway.

Moderator and Customer

DDave
Hooked

Re-run the test via ethernet cable 17.8 mbps download about the same upload very slight difference in results?
Baldrick1

All you can do then is report a fault and see what happens.

Moderator and Customer

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @DDave,

I'm sorry that your broadband speed is not what you're expecting, it must be frustrating so I appreciate you following the advice given on the forum.

Please can you run through the steps here and ensure you follow through to the Member Centre login in order to raise a fault, so that this can be investigated by our Technical Support and escalated accordingly: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

Thanks - LF

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @rich7667,   I'm sorry that your broadband speed is no...

Hi @rich7667,

I'm sorry that your broadband speed is not what you're expecting, it must be frustrating so I appreciate you approaching us here on the forum.

Please can you run through the steps here in order to raise a fault, so that this can be investigated by our Technical Support and escalated accordingly: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/ . Apologies if some of this is what has been covered previously, our Technical Support team will need to know you have exhausted any checks yourself first.

Thanks - LF

DDave
Hooked

Update: Reported fault (slow speed) and Plusnet said I had a fault showing on my line at the local exchange.
Engineer sent out regarding line fault and also said my internal sockets were incorrectly wired (No Master socket) now corrected! Result: minimal speed improvement of about 2 mbps--now 19/20 Mbps think that's the best I,m going to get.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us.

I'm sorry to hear that your speeds haven't massively increased.

I'll update the open ticket on your account shortly with more details

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team