Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miserably slow fibre

DDave
Hooked

Miserably slow fibre

Hi Everybody

Signed up to Plusnet fibre Oct 18 expecting a decent speed especially for streaming ultra HD films etc. on my new Oled TV, best download speed I have ever recorded after contacting plusnet many many times was 19.2 mbps for maybe a few weeks so could,nt even get a engineer out as that was classed above the minimum speed I could expect! it’s been steady now at 15.8 mbps download and upto 5 mbps upload for many months way-way slower than the upto 36mbps advertised and now not even reaching the required minimum.

Been through all plusnets recommended checks (many times) unplugging everything and connecting directly to the BT socket with no success, there’s been no interference on the phone line and I am only about 500 yds from the BT green box. My line comes in underground to the standard BT grey box on the wall outside and then maybe 5 yds to the internal BT socket.

Any suggestions welcomed or do I just swap suppliers at the end of my contract.

29 REPLIES 29
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Miserably slow fibre

What does this say about your speed?  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Are you testing using an Ethernet cable between your computer and the router, not wireless and with no other devices active at the time?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DDave
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick
Checked the link nor entirely sure of the numbers I,m looking for seems like my minimum speed should be between 19.2mbps B and 22.4 mbps A. Top line on the read out?
Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

You want to use the VDSL clean figures-high will be the maximum, low the minimum and the hand back will be the bare minimum you should get.

As Baldrick said mind, those figures are assuming a wired connection-wireless can be a completely different ball game with issues that PN won't be able to see or test for, so make sure you do a test wired first to see if it's the line running poor or a wifi problem
rich7767
Hooked

Same issue, fibre is unacceptably slow, bored with going through the same checks over and again.  Speed at the moment is 17 Mbs, and has been similar all week!!! it should be 30 Mbs minimum!  Rebooting the router sorts it for a day or so but this is really unacceptable, what are you going to do about it Plus Net???  The fact that you can;t log a complaint is really annoying!  REALLY ANNOYING!!!!  Get your act together you monkeys!!!!!

Yours sincerely [-Censored-]ed off!

@DDave wrote:
Thanks Baldrick
Checked the link nor entirely sure of the numbers I,m looking for seems like my minimum speed should be between 19.2mbps B and 22.4 mbps A. Top line on the read out?

rich7767
Hooked

Just to add, I'm an IT manager, the issue is obviously at the exchange or the local fibre box, none of this is rocket science, you need to give BT a kick up the proverbial to get this sorted - I have to do this on a daily basis with our BT account manager, it seems to get results - eventually!!!

rich7767
Hooked

What do I need to do to get some compensation for the degraded service I have been receiving since inception?  Come on Plus Net, do me proud!!!

I've had enough of connecting, disconnecting and re-connecting the kit, I just want the service that I'm paying for - is that too much to ask???

Best customer service - really!  Prove it.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

I get it's frustrating, but watch the language-the rules on here are pretty clear on that.

So, first thing I'm going to assume the test socket is already done and so on-are you getting 17Mb wired or wireless first off. If its wired, has a fault been raised on your account? If not, head to faults.plus.net here and raise it. That'll raise it to the back end faults team to test and look into-possibly with the engineers.

If it's wifi then it's different. Like my last reply, this can be hit with issues plusnet cant see or control-usually channel clashing with another router. With this, run the wired test first to confirm it, but if wired is good and wifi isn't you want to change your wifi settings. A guide to this is in the help pages on the main site (the link has been posted on here often-I don't have it myself). Go to help, then broadband and go through wifi part. In there in a section on how to access the wireless settings, then you change that by splitting the bands, or changing the channel to find what works best for your house-trial and error. Or get a wifi analyser app to find the best for you!

Edit-you posted more while I was typing my reply so please excuse me if any of this is stuff you're already aware of or tried!
rich7767
Hooked

It's now 12:30, and the service is running @ 10 Mbs - you're really having a laugh aren't you.  Even with contention I wouldn't expect this, I'd be embarrassed if I was providing this service!  Maybe I should go back to using my old modem, at least the speed was consistent...!

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

If its wireless contention it could be. Most routers stay on even throughout the night, and if your clashing with something like a baby monitor or cordless phone the signal will still be there, whether it's in use or not. Exchange contention would likely be less now, but that's not likely the problem if its constantly down.

I'm just going through the possibilities-remember I cant see anything about the line so I'm going through the usual culprits. Like I said in my edit, while I was posting I didn't know of your occupation!
rich7767
Hooked

I've tried everything, hence I want to raise a complaint.  But there's no route to do this is there, which is really frustrating and annoying.  I've been through your tech team repeatedly, there's nothing wrong with the kit, now I've had enough of endlessly repeating the same process.  Either sort the problem or advise re compensation/contract cease please!

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Just for the record, I'm a customer like you not staff-with nothing better to do at half 12 on a Friday night!

I'm sure you can raise a complaint through the member centre, but I'd probably do two birds one stone. If this is ethernet speed failure, raise the fault and use the anything else box to express the complaint. It'll get it to those who can deal with this kind of thing instead of front line tech you keep getting, and the complaint can be dealt with at the same time.
rich7767
Hooked

To summarise the issue - rebooting the router restores connectivity to the expected speed for a day or so.  Speed then steadily degrades over the next few days.  I get it's odd, you sent out a BT engineer to look at the issue, he advised that he couldn't find anything at the exchange box, but I don't have much faith in BT engineers and their troubleshooting ability - given my experience... It's not a contention issue, speed would vary during the day if it was - I work from home, so am cognisant of utilisation.

rich7767
Hooked

Ok, thanks for clarifying, but I've been down that road as you'll see from my last post - it really feels like the last post...  !

Time to call it a night, I'll call tech support again tomorrow, if they ask me to unplug/re-plug anything in again I'll set fire to the lot of it and go back to using a modem..

Wish me luck!

Kdog
Aspiring Pro

It is a bit of a weird one. My first inkling was DLM dropping the speed or ramping up the SNR if it's erroring or dropping out, but if I remember rightly fibre DLM only runs every 24 hours, so it wouldn't be a steady degradation, it would drop in blocks.

It also a bit weird that the router restores the speed. If anything, frequent reboots would do the opposite as above, unless the router itself is struggling with the throughput or holding it back somehow, and the reset clears it out.

Dont suppose you've tried a different router? And have tech sent over a read of your sync rate so you can tell if it's the line or the throughput rate failing?