cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milton Keynes - Fibre to Home and Fibre to Cabinet

klyne
Grafter

Milton Keynes - Fibre to Home and Fibre to Cabinet

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but its been announced recently that Milton Keynes, Bradwell Abbey Exchange will be next to be converted or what ever they do! As its almost impossible to get any information out of BT if you are an individual I just wondered what happens next and will it apply to everyone on that Exchange. The fact that the change might be the equivalent of going from a Morris Minor to a Ferrari is quite exciting! Would the process be similar to what you have announced about Muswell Hill? Any information would be appreciated and it could cheer this old bloke up!
David
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Milton Keynes - Fibre to Home and Fibre to Cabinet

Yep, I imagine we'll follow similar process to how we've done on the first two exchanges.
When they were enabled, we tried calling as many potential candidates as possible, giving them the opportunity to try out FTTC.  Bear in mind that the cabinets will also have to be upgraded individually.
Aresby

Yes, I saw this announcement too - but wasn't the whole point that it was going to be fibre to the home (FTTH) rather than fibre to the cabinet FTTC)?
I wonder how BT are going to do that? Perhaps to the cabinet first then from there more fibre to the home - but this would require a new socket just like a cable modem wouldn't it?
klyne
Grafter

I suppose one advantage of the older parts of Milton Keynes is that the old BT cable TV infrastructure is still in place which I suppose would make it a bit easier to install directly to the home.
David
dick:quote
gav2trumpton

Unfortunately MK's cable infrastructure is a bit of a joke - unlike some other parts where Virgin media can offer cable broadband, the cable setup here can't support internet access, so BT's cabling will have to be new runs.
I can only guess why the Bradwell Abbey exchange in MK was chosen, but it does support nearly 30,000 homes and business premises some of whom are too far from the exchange to be able to get any form of ADSL connection, and many of whom get less than 1.5Mb/s.
The Bradwell Abbey exchange however doesn't cover all of Milton Keynes, parts are served by the Shenley Wood, Wolverton, Stony Stratford, Woburn Sands, and Bletchley exchanges (covering approx 52,000 homes and businesses altogether), and these areas will most likely not be able to get fibre until it is rolled out to all exchanges.
klyne
Grafter

Quote from: Gavin
Unfortunately MK's cable infrastructure is a bit of a joke - unlike some other parts where Virgin media can offer cable broadband, the cable setup here can't support internet access, so BT's cabling will have to be new runs.
I can only guess why the Bradwell Abbey exchange in MK was chosen, but it does support nearly 30,000 homes and business premises some of whom are too far from the exchange to be able to get any form of ADSL connection, and many of whom get less than 1.5Mb/s.
The Bradwell Abbey exchange however doesn't cover all of Milton Keynes, parts are served by the Shenley Wood, Wolverton, Stony Stratford, Woburn Sands, and Bletchley exchanges (covering approx 52,000 homes and businesses altogether), and these areas will most likely not be able to get fibre until it is rolled out to all exchanges.

Gavin
Perhaps I should have been a bit more specific in what I said. My reference to the old BT network was only made because the 'holes' are already there but as you say not much else Cool
David