cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration advice welcome please....

softmuse
Dabbler

Migration advice welcome please....

:)Hi, just got Plusnetted  -  broadband for first time.  Easy & excellent.
Situation is thuswise:
Will move to Plus Net email service.  Chosen Mozilla Thunderbird as mail program.  Set up and working fine.
But.... I want a couple months overlap of Plus Mail in parallel with my current email (Demon.co.uk accessed thro Demon's Turnpike).  I need to be sure everyone knows I've moved, service is reliable  etc.
Problem:-  Demon access is set up to get/send emails via dial-up.  Still works fine if I disconnect broadband, replug and dial-up  -  but a pain.
Question:- can I use my Plus Mail approach (broadband and Thunderbird) to get at my Demon mail without re-plugging & needing dial-up  -  as well as any new Plus emails?
If so, how, please?
I'm thoroughly computer-literate (25 yrs in the business) but hopelessly broadband and comms ignorant...
Cheers, Dave T (softmuse)
4 REPLIES 4
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Migration advice welcome please....

Can you log into your demon account and redirect emails to your new plus.net account ?
softmuse
Dabbler

Thanx for suggestion of re-direct, but prefer proper "both in parallel" solution if it's do-able.  Immediate re-direct would be assuming that Plus mail service is reliable, which is what I need to test before relying on it.
I'm very hopeful it will be!    Everything else Plus has been excellent.

i.e  I need to be chicken & try out Plus email genuinely in parallel on emails that don't matter until I depend on it.  So need both for a while, overlapping.
So back to initial query really...
Cheers.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You will almost certainly be able to access your Demon email via broadband as an additional account in your email client or via a web mail interface.
The only thing that you may NOT be able to do is SEND email via Demon's servers, but there are several ways round that.
For a start just define the email account and test it, my money is on you receiving OK but probably not sending.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

HPSauce is right, you should just be able to create an additional account in Thunderbird and set the pop3 server and account info to that of your demon account. Just looked at the demon site here http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/producthelp/mail/faq/
and it looks like you might have to setup an additional password to access via pop3 from other than the demon dial-up.
Take a look at the link it seems quite comprehensive...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.