cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to PN Fibre - Ethernet switch or new router?

gadg17
Hooked

Migrating to PN Fibre - Ethernet switch or new router?

Hi
I'm in mid-migration from O2 to Plusnet fibre unlimited - grateful for any foresight from older hands...
I can see I'm going to have a problem with the Technicolor router, if for no other reason than it has only three LAN ports and I need four. I could buy an Ethernet switch for a few pounds, but for £20 I could have this router - a TP-Link TL-WR841N. It's hardly cutting-edge but it does have four LAN ports and with 300Mbps wireless seems to offer an improvement over the supplied model. Has anyone tried one?
In the meantime, is it feasible to try out the wireless range on the Technicolor router by using it in ADSL2+ mode with the O2 service prior to switchover?
Thanks for any help.
David
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Migrating to PN Fibre - Ethernet switch or new router?

In the meantime, is it feasible to try out the wireless range on the Technicolor router by using it in ADSL2+ mode with the O2 service prior to switchover?

You could possibly test the wireless range by using the TG582n as a wireless AP , plugged into you existing router. Basically you would need to:-
Disable wireless on your existing router ( to avoid interfence affecting any results )
Allocate the TG582 a static IP on your existing subnet ( not needed unless you need to access it GUI when connected to old router )
Disable DHCP on the TG582
Configure wireless settings on the Tg582 as required
Connect port 1,2 or 3 ( not 4 ) of the TG582 into a spare port on your existing router.
The Tg582 should now act as a wireless AP

The TP Link TL-WR841N will work but I don't think I've seen any posts regarding any actual experience of it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gadg17
Hooked

Re: Migrating to PN Fibre - Ethernet switch or new router?

MisterW , that's a good idea. I'll rig it up as an access point when it arrives.