Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

colintivy
Rising Star

Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

Hi fellows.
I am seriously considering fleeing Microsoft in favour of Linux. Have you any valuable tips on issues avoidance? BT 210 ADSL router software seems to be Win oriented, is there a Linux equivalent? Any issues about IE6 replacement and connection to Plus??? I await with slightly bated breath!!
Colintivy
374 REPLIES 374
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

I'm using two flavours of Linux at the moment, and have Ubuntu installed on a laptop. As far as connecting to PN is concerned you should have no trouble at all. Assuming your router is connected via a network port you shouldn't need any software or drivers to run it. It will be set up via its own web interface on your local network.
Ubuntu comes with most of the software that the average user needs. It installs OpenOffice, Firefox web browser, email client, photo editing, media player etc. It is also easy to install other software via the repository system - you basically choose what you want from a list and off it goes.
Hardware support is pretty good as well. Go for it, I doubt you will regret it. Do make a good backup before you start, just in case.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The only issue I had with Ubuntu was WiFi not working.
I trashed and re-installed XP. I will have another go later in the year.
As has been said before it's a steep learning curve if you dip below the surface. Embarrassed
Edit: Just as an afterthought. The laptop I installed on has a failed Ethernet port so I used USB to Ethernet which worked fine.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I use Ubuntu on my laptop (dual booted with WinXP) and desktop.
I like it, i guess the best advice i would give is check out the compatibility with your hardware and Linux.
You can use firefox as a browser.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
artificer
Grafter

visit distrowatch.com to read the reviews and download .isos of livecds.  livecd is an operating system on a disk, which allows you to run it without touching your existing install.  most livecd distributions will also  allow installation when you've tried the system and decided you like it.
read about dual-booting with windows.  this is what many people do while they learn enough linux to no longer need it.  an alternative some people use is to run windows in a virtual machine, like virtual box, within linux.
join a couple of forums.  read the sort of problems that crop up regularly, like wifi, printers,  and see how you like the atmosphere.
many drivers are built into the kernel, depending upon distribution, and the developers are constantly working to improve performance.
fp
Grafter

If you do not play games on your PC (or need a specific program available on only Windows) it is difficult to see why you would every use M$ Windows.  Linux gives you so much more at much less cost - and I am not talking only money. 
I have been using various flavours of Linux on various machines for over a decade.  Currently Debian on desktops and an (Aldi) laptop.  You talk to your modem/router through a browser, so set up is easy.  As for wireless, that can be a challenge on less uptodate Linux distributions,  but setting up the wireless card on my laptop using the latest Ubuntu was a simple matter of putting a few bits of data in the familiar window boxes.
There will be a learning curve and frustration, as with anything new.  Stick with it: it will be worth it and you look back and wonder why you ever used M$ in the first place.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi you lot!
Thanks for near-instant replies. All very encouraging that you think it desirable. I intend to migrate my laptop keeping my tower on win98SE which does keep me intouch My query about 210 router as supplied by BT/Plus is that its driver software is Windows-based and may not allow the linux-ed laptop to talk to Plus if I transfer the cable to its Ethernet socket. Note USB did not want to work on the tower.
artificer
Grafter

win98 didn't have support for usb.  post the specs of both machines.  it will give a better idea of which distributions to suggest you trial.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Win98SE did have USB support
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artificer
win98 didn't have support for usb. 

Oh yes it did!  Crazy
artificer
Grafter

you're right.  usb 1.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: colintivy
My query about 210 router as supplied by BT/Plus is that its driver software is Windows-based and may not allow the linux-ed laptop to talk to Plus if I transfer the cable to its Ethernet socket. Note USB did not want to work on the tower.

That's the point - if you connect the router to a network port it doesn't need drivers as it is communicating using TCP/IP, which is independent of operating system. You only need a driver if you connect using USB. Even then, there may well be Linux drivers available, but setup via a network port should be better.  All you do is type the local network address of the router (usually 192.168.0.1) into a browser, and the router web interface will appear. You can enter all your connection settings there. 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Not quite right on the network drivers there Denzil, but they are usually built-in to the operating system or installed by the system manufacturer so you don't normally need to worry about them.  Cheesy
tstaddon
Rising Star

Wireless adaptors and NVidia/Radeon cards are the likely hardware gotchas you have to consider if moving to Linux, but I've found the very latest Debian versions (eg Ubuntu) handles my Atheros chipset wireless card perfectly, and the Radeon drivers provided from ATI are a lot better than they used to be.
If you're not a gamer and your PC is used primarily for office work or web surfing, then the Vesa display driver seems to be perfectly fine for general use - but it's very basic.
On a very old machine, stick with Gnome, don't even bother trying KDE.
pd
Grafter

I'm using Fedora 9 with Gnome on one machine, runs well, comes with open office bundled which is good.  You'd hardly notice the difference to MS office.