cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated to fibre, getting same speed

Lacandon

Migrated to fibre, getting same speed

Hello, I have migrated from ADSL to fibre. The Openreach engineer came today to set up the modem and router. On his tests from the modem, he was getting 69 Mbps. After he left I configured my computers and started using the broadband. I am getting speeds of around 5 Mbps on the download (which is not very far from what I used to get with ADSL),  although I get 14 Mbps for upload.  I have tried both over witless and Ethernet.
Is this low speed to be expected because it is only starting or is there something wrong with the setup?  The internet and Ethernet lights are constantly flashing in the router, if that is if any significance.
Thanks for your help
13 REPLIES 13
davidwalker900
Grafter

Re: Migrated to fibre, getting same speed

there is 14 days cool off leave the router on and modem it will get the right speed in 14 days
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

What does this https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ( login required ) say ?
Sounds like your PlusNet profile hasn't caught up with the change to Fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SuperZoom
Grafter

Your profile probably hasn't updated yet, that's all.
(There's no prioritisation on the upstream, so that doesn't need to update.)
You can either wait a while for it to update automatically or just give PlusNet a quick call and ask if they wouldn't mind doing it manually so you can get on an see how fast it really is  Smiley
Lacandon

Thanks for the replies. 
It says:
Estimated line speed:
47Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-11-29 12:21:04
Current line speed:
5.4 Mb
I guess I just have to be patient.
Thanks again
SuperZoom
Grafter

Quote from: Lacandon
I guess I just have to be patient.

The "Current Line Speed" is the PlusNet profile.
As I say, you can call. Or one of the Digital Care Team on here can no doubt do it for you.
There's a schedule for the update script, though, so it will happen eventually if you are happy to wait.

Just for anyone else who comes along, this is incorrect:
Quote from: davidwalker900
there is 14 days cool off leave the router on and modem it will get the right speed in 14 days

There is no initial training period for DLM on FTTC:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5929-reminder-about-the-reality-of-dlm-on-openreach-fttc.html
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=10513.0
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, any chance you could run a couple of BT speed tests please? You can find that at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com - that'll give us an idea of what's going on. I suspect some back end config on the supplier side of things but having tried to fix one of those earlier this week and being dead ended ("We need a TAP3 test result to progress this fault" over and over, not fun) I've learned my lesson there, hence the request I'm afraid.
davidwalker900
Grafter

bt told me it is 14 days cool off i was with bt myself for fibre be plusnet says the same can a plusnet staff tell me if this is true or false
picbits
Rising Star

My FTTC started straight up at 73Mb/s and settled at 65-68Mb/s after a few months.
In that time I had a few resets of the modem which didn't seem to affect the speed so I suspect there is no real training period for FTTC - it just adapts as it goes.
Lacandon

I ended up giving plusnet a call and after a couple of tries, I am getting now close to 60 Mbps. (I am still trying to figure out why my two iPads only get 14Mb over wireless, whilst my computer gets the full 60, both wired and wireless, but that is a different story!)
Thanks for all your replies.
SuperZoom
Grafter

"I'm just off to (re)boots for an iTest!"
Can't read off the full chart, even with correction...
Crazy
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@davidwalker900,
Are you sure you are not confusing the 14 day cooling-off period of your contract with the line training of ADSL.
As @SuperZoom has stated: "There is no initial training period for DLM on FTTC."
There is a 10-Day training period for ADSL
Kind regards,
Brian
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
SuperZoom
Grafter

Qdos

Quote from: Lacandon
Hello, I have migrated from ADSL to fibre. The Openreach engineer came today to set up the modem and router. On his tests from the modem, he was getting 69 Mbps. After he left I configured my computers and started using the broadband. I am getting speeds of around 5 Mbps on the download (which is not very far from what I used to get with ADSL),  although I get 14 Mbps for upload.  I have tried both over witless and Ethernet.

When conducting tests don't use Wireless adapters, this is because you'll only get real results over ethernet cabled adapters.
It sounds very much as if there is something incorrectly set up at modem-router level for there to be such a disparity between the BT engineers reading and your own!
It's also possible that the ethernet adapter you're tapping in from isn't set-up properly.