cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated from Sky - Very Slow Download Speed

scambyuk

Migrated from Sky - Very Slow Download Speed

I've recently migrated from Sky (previously Be) to Plus.net in an attempt to get away from the ridiculous throttling they applied to Youtube/iPlayer etc.
One thing I never had a problem with on Be/Sky is basic download speed.  The modem tended to connect around ~10MB and download speed was in line with that.
Unfortunately this isn't the case so far on Plus.net - The connection is still around 10MB according to the router but I'm only getting 2-3MB download.
BT Wholesale Test says:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.4 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 9.13 Mbps
Using a Billion 7800N router, I've also tried my old Netgear but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Any ideas?  I've also raised a Fault ticket.
Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Migrated from Sky - Very Slow Download Speed

Given that the BT speedtest doesn't identify a problem can you check the current line speed here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
scambyuk

Thanks - It says:
Estimated line speed:
   7Mb (This may vary between 6.5Mb and 8.5Mb) - Checked on 2014-05-08 12:02:15
Current line speed:
   9 Mb
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have now run out of ideas
One thing I would try - I assume that you were given the option - is the second stage (or is that third stage) test where you change the login to that of BT testing
As you are below the acceptable speed that should be an option
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Can you also please post your full router stars here, especially the error counts.
Is your line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2.
Are you connected to the master socket?
Have you any phone extensions?
Have you tried a different filter?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: scambyuk
Any ideas? 
Yes, for starters I'd try a number of speed testers and compare the results.
Probably starting with speedtest.net as that gives you a wide choice of servers.
Also, please describe what sort of PC you are using and how it's connected to the router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Forgot that check - wifi or wired speed test results can be markedly different.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

iqb043
Grafter

Im in the exact same situation but hopefully should improve. Are you using the modem originally from Be? What firmware does it have running?
scambyuk

Thanks all for the suggestions.
- Speedtest.net agrees with the BT Wholesale Checker - averages around 3MB.
- Yes, the line is quiet and clear.
- The 3rd test on the BT site keeps timing out (I did reconnect the modem as the test user, and it gets part of the way through the test before timing out)
- I have tried a different filter, I've tried connecting directly to router wired, but am not connected to the master socket. (I can't find it in this flat)
I don't think the problem is internal as this was all fine until my I moved from Sky->Plus.net.
Router stats:
DSP Firmware Version A2pB022g.d20h
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1199
Downstream 10331
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.5
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.2
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 24.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 39.0
No Errors or Drops on either Received or Transmitted.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Your BT Profile is a little high for the current synch speed and the PN one is a little low - 88.2% x 10331 = 9.11Mbps
The current synch speed is quite good for the line's attenuation.
The BT Reported speed test is below the acceptable range for your line.  Did that speed test offer you a "further / diagnostics test"?  Can you please check it and do it if offered.
Something is amiss - it is not unknown for one of the BTOR internal settings to be "squiff" requiring a manual poke... which will require DCT action, who will not be back until Monday morning.  Hopefully your open fault ticket will identify something.

john10001
Grafter

Quote from: scambyuk
I've recently migrated from Sky (previously Be) to Plus.net in an attempt to get away from the ridiculous throttling they applied to Youtube/iPlayer etc.
One thing I never had a problem with on Be/Sky is basic download speed.  The modem tended to connect around ~10MB and download speed was in line with that.
Unfortunately this isn't the case so far on Plus.net - The connection is still around 10MB according to the router but I'm only getting 2-3MB download.
BT Wholesale Test says:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.4 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 9.13 Mbps
Using a Billion 7800N router, I've also tried my old Netgear but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Any ideas?  I've also raised a Fault ticket.
Thanks.

My experience of PlusNet is very good for Fibre but dreadful for ADSL.
IMHO PlusNet DO absolutely throttle and limit your speeds on their standard ADSL broadband service. I was getting 5 to 8Mbps on Eclipse Internet and only get 2 or 3 on PlusNet ADSL.
HPsauce
Pro

@john, I suggest you start your own thread if you have a problem.
I migrated here from Bethere recently to avoid Sky and performance is pretty similar on ADSL; in some ways better though the raw connection speed is slightly less as I can't "tweak" it as I did with Be. No throttling on the Unlimited package.
Back to @scambyuk - you haven't said if you're wired or wireless?
scambyuk

Wired.  I've gone back to the Netgear after a complete factory reset and I'm up to about 7MB now which is an improvement.
Having said that, it's already twice slowed right down to < 1MB to the point where pretty much everything was unusable.  That remained for more than an hour and the only way to fix was reboot the router, which seems to help temporarily.
Something doesn't seem right..
HPsauce
Pro

I've had problems with old Netgears (what model is it?) as the electrolytic capacitors tend to fail and cause some very odd behaviour.
If I were you I'd get PlusNet to send you one of their routers for £5.99 P&P or whatever it costs these days and see how that behaves.
(You'll need to pay them £40 or so for it if you leave within a year I think)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@scambyuk - I've just taken a look at your connection and can see that you're connecting at relatively good speeds. The 'Line Quality' shown on our side is very poor. The Line Quality is determined by the amount of errors on your line, coupled with how often they are appearing and the amount of reconnection's made between your router and your Local Exchange.
Your has dropped the connection to your Local Exchange 86 times yesterday alone. Would you be able to try an alternative router?
@john10001 - We don't throttle speeds at all. If you're having any issues with your service, please do feel free to start a new thread and I'd be more than happy to help.