Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro filters

Chemicalman
Dabbler

Micro filters

May be a daft question ?
  But do you need to put a filter between your router and the main BT socket ? if there is no other equipment, or telephone connected, in other words a master BT socket where just your computer is connected.
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Micro filters

No.
The filter is to stop the ADSL frequencies from being heard on a phone and to stop the phone interfering with the ADSL signal.
No phone, no need for a filter.
Chemicalman
Dabbler

Thanks Peter,
I thought that may be the case
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed. mod:end
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Must admit I'd always thought 'socket equals filter'. and not 'phone in socket equals filter'. So you've made me think whether a filter in an extension socket that has been wired nor from the front of the main BT socket via a splitter as opposed to from the main socket direct, using the terminal in the main box, need a filter in the extension that has just the lead from the modem/router going in to it. If it does not then can the filter actually be harmful?  What of a DECT slave phone, that is in the room where modem/router is connected to extension socket, even though not physically sharing the socket would its presence cause particular problems if a filter were not there>
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Only wired devices (not including ADSL) require filters. Only one filter is needed between a phone and the BT socket. If you don't use a filter no physical harm will be caused - but your ADSL & phone quality will be rubbish.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."