Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messages to myself marked as spam

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Messages to myself marked as spam

Just configuring a new email client and sent a test message to myself and rather surprised to find it in the webmail spam box. I'm sure this problem was raised before and i thought it was fixed - is this a known problem or do I just have to whitelist my own address.
Paul
5 REPLIES 5
artificer
Grafter

Re: Messages to myself marked as spam

if you mark it as not spam and then send another message to yourself, it should get through ok.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

A - you must be joking about marking as not spam
B are you sending it PlusNet to PlusNet, that should be OK
C if I send one from me.uk to my free-online it quit often gets marked as spam, I dont know why
paulgul
Rising Star

Well I tried marking the first one as 'not spam' then just sent another and it still finished up in the spam box. I'm sending from and to the same PN account, its actually a mail@paulxxx.co.uk address hosted by PN but I dont think that should make much difference. Perhaps someone from PN will comment in the morning.
Paul
ChrisL
Rising Star

It's a common misconception that marking a message as 'not spam' causes the sending address to be whitelisted. It doesn't. It merely flags to plusnet that a message has been falsely identified as spam, so that any general issues can be taken up with Postini.
Messages sent to your plusnet address(es) go first to Postini for spam filtering.  If they come from a plusnet relay, they routinely get identified as spam (I think it has to do with the sheer volume of traffic Postini sees from this source). This is why the domain 'plus.com' is whitelisted for us all at the organisation level (and so the most blatant spam spoofed from our own addresses gets past Edge Protection and has to be stopped by plusnet using a relay check). However, if I've got this right, hosted domains send via the plusnet relays without the org whitelisting. To avoid the spam filter, I think the sending address will need to be whitelisted by you, the user.
Hope this helps.
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: ChrisL
To avoid the spam filter, I think the sending address will need to be whitelisted by you, the user.
Hope this helps.

I've just done that, so the problem should be cured
Paul