Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message to James - I Want My MAC Key

kiwi992
Dabbler

Message to James - I Want My MAC Key

Hi James,
I have been with Metronet for three years and I feel it's time for me to go. I'm no longer happy with this organisation.
In this regard, would you please provide me with my MAC key.  Notice is hereby formally given to Metronet.
I know that by law, the MAC key should be provided to me within five working days from today. 
I have simply had enough of the invoicing errors, queries being sent to me when it was the fault of the Customer Service personnel for messing about with my invoicing date, the double invoicing for the same period, the constant pressure to pay by direct debit (knowing fully well that it's a monthly contract that I'm on) and so on and so forth.
The final straw being the fact that my account was disabled, just two days after I was sent an invoice, resulting to my losing important clients.
Regards,

kiwi992. 
14 REPLIES 14
James
Grafter

Re: MESSAGE TO JAMES - I WANT MY MAC KEY

Hi there,
This post doesn't quite constitute as written notice but I'll go and generate this for you anyway.
I'm sorry that you feel that it has come to this.
kiwi992
Dabbler

Re: Message to James - I Want My MAC Key

Hi James,

Many thanks.
Thanks also for the help and assistance, both here and the former Metronet, before it was taken over by PlusNet.
I have now raised a ticket to give formal notice to Metronet.  

kiwi992.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How does the pre-PlusNet MetroNet compare with the post-PlusNet version? (if you know what I mean) Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ozarnold

Well, Kiwi - congrats on getting your MAC.
I raised a ticket with PlusNet (which is the recommended procedure) and just got several people trying to get me back on board. I told them why I wanted to leave and since then, nothing.  Roll_eyes
I shall be instructing my bank not to honour any future direct debits to PlusNet once the migration has taken place, as I know of several people who have had money taken out of their accounts AFTER their account was cancelled, including for not paying by direct debit in the month after the account was cancelled! You'd laugh if it wasn't so stupid.
James
Grafter

Hi Ozarnold,
I've replied to your ticket and generated in MAC Code.
We, as an ISP are required to reply to you within 5 workings supplying you with your MAC Code.  As far as I know, we have never breached this since the regulation was launched by OFCOM.
We have our own procedures for generatating MAC Codes.  We will always try and phone everyone that raises a request for a MAC Code so that we can get an understanding of why they are looking t leave us.  In many cases, there's something that we can do for the customer, be it a max upgrade or recommend a more suitable product.
That's why it can take a couple of days to get the MAC Code itself.  Nothing more sinister than that.
BoneMan
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
We have our own procedures for generatating MAC Codes.  We will always try and phone everyone that raises a request for a MAC Code so that we can get an understanding of why they are looking t leave us.  In many cases, there's something that we can do for the customer, be it a max upgrade or recommend a more suitable product.

James,
        Just a thought, why not reverse the order? Issue the MAC and then follow up with a call. The MAC can always be withdrawn and you are not upsetting the customer by being seen as "dragging  your heels"  :-X. I think of this like "do you argue before or after paying the bill?". Often you get better results by paying and then disputing  ;).
Regards,
Ray.
James
Grafter

Hi Ray,
I believe this is to ensure that we have a chance to talk to the customer before they place an order with a new ISP, which the customer may not be able to cancel if we offer a satisfactory solution.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You have to give 30 days notice - even if your migration completes before the 30 days are up you have to pay for the full 30 days.
Your 30 days notice starts from the day you request the MAC - not the day you are given the MAC, so whether PN take 1 day or 5 days to provide the MAC it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to when the the 30 days notice ends.
OFCOM requires ISPs to provide MAC codes within 5 days. I have not heard of a single instance of them failing to do this (assuming that the request had been made in the correct manner by raising a question on the portal). In the vast majority of cases the code is provided far quicker.
I really struggle to understand why people get so worked up about this - I bet there are a number of ISPs who are far, far harder to leave than Plusnet!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ozarnold

Jameseh - Thanks for that. I confirm it's been received.
Jelv - Thanks for your insight. The issue was not the delay but the fact had 2 replies to my ticket within 20 minutes, to which I replied within 3 hours. 2 days later I'd still had no update or acknowledgement. That's all I wanted. Yes, there probably are providers who are harder to leave than PlusNet, and I'd react the same with them as well.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I really struggle to understand why people get so worked up about this - I bet there are a number of ISPs who are far, far harder to leave than Plusnet!

One ISP has just received a £30,000 fine, for not complying with the MAC key rules.
Chilly
chillypenguin
Grafter

jnwright
Grafter

The relevant Ofcom page is here and this includes a non-confidential pdf copy of the penalty notice issued.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

When requesting a MAC from BT recently they spent a few minutes trying to dissuade me from leaving. They reminded me of what I would be missing and offered me a reduction if I signed up for another year.  They pointed out how dubious some of the ISPs are. When I pointed out that I was going to PlusNet and that was a part of BT Group they denied it and suggested that I had been mislead by PlusNet and that it must merely be a user of BT Wholesale services. Fortunately I didn't get most of my information from the PlusNet site so I was sure of my facts. It's not as if PlusNet makes being part of BT a big selling point. On the contrary many people (such as myself) come here because they are unhappy with the BT Total Broadband offerings.
Only after I firmly rejected their arguments was I given a MAC code - but it was done immediately. This came as a surprise as I thought that I would have to wait a few days.
I don't think any ISP would issue a MAC code without first making some attempt to dissuade a customer from leaving.
Not applicable

Quote from: alanf
It's not as if PlusNet makes being part of BT a big selling point.

PN isn't really *part* of BT, its an independant standalone company, whose shares are fully owned by BT.
Somewhat different to comparing with say the Metronet/Plusnet relationship.