cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Megavideo unfairly capped?

casim

Megavideo unfairly capped?

Hi,
I don't remember since when I start to have problem streaming video from Megavideo but I always thought that the reason was the crappy connection (max speed 2Mb).
Recently anyway I noticed that between 8 and 10 the streaming speed is always under 32 KB, trying different streaming website (for example Youtube) or normal browser in the same time window I noticed that I can easily reach and stabilize around 230KB. To be 100% sure I also tried to VPN to my office and use megavideo (also in this case > 200KB).
So basically I'm 100% sure that Megavideo is capped, for me this is strange because according to:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#extraSpeeds
between 8PM-10PM the caps are the following:
- YouTube 2.5Mb
- Download sites 256Kb (32KB)
- Streaming Line Speed
Now given that Megavideo is much more similar to Youtube than to a download website (the sister website Megaupload is a download website) I don't understand why should be capped in that way.
I can definitely wait for a download to finish and I don't mind that is capped but streaming is about realtime not buffering a video for 1 hour before been able to watch it.
Moreover treating Youtube in a different way is unfair, does Google pays Plus.net for this upper class treatment?
Sorry for the flame but I'd like to understand if I'm the only one with this problem and if this is something that can be fixed or the only option is to move to a provider that understand the usage pattern differences between Download and Streaming.
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Megavideo unfairly capped?

Hi casim,
It certainly seems as though it's being traffic managed in that way. I'll speak to networks tomorrow and find out how it should be categorised.
Jojo Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

I think it's because it's a download site, megavideo and megaupload are probably served from the same CDN so the throttling has to treat megavideo as a download site rather than a streaming site.
casim

Thanks for the replies Smiley
I checked the http sessions created both when I download a file from Megaupload and when I stream a file (flv) from Megavideo.
They correctly use file coming from their domain, respectively Megaupload.com and Megavideo.com
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi casim,
I've asked if this can be looked at. If we can differentiate between the two the we will re-classify it. If this is the case it would get done in a rollout at the end of the month.
Jojo Smiley
casim

Thanks Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI casim,
so we can correctly identify the traffic that's being incorrectly prioritised, could you run a wireshark capture while you are streaming. Please make sure you have no other programs running and then:
start wireshark>start streaming>stop streaming>stop wireshark.
If you need to find out more about how wireshark works and where to download it from then click here.
Once you have the file captured then please attach it to a ticket and let me know.
Thanks,
Jojo Smiley
casim

Hi Joanne,
many thanks, I captured the traffic and rised a ticket with id #41540060.
Let me know if you need something else
Simone
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Simone,
Thanks, I'll get someone to look into that for you.
Jojo Smiley