Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max vs. Current sync rates - advice needed

James
Grafter

Re: Max vs. Current sync rates - advice needed

Confusing Cheesy
Basically, from memory, if you get assigned a higher SNR, it'll try that for 3 days, then it'll try something lower to see if it's able to maintain a stable service.
It is a bit random though.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

All part of the trial then?  Cheesy
scootie
Grafter

abit random jamesh. you can say that again.
from 15db to 9db in one step and a stuck sync no matter what time or snr level is
can PN get in touch with BTw and find what is normal and not normal on the new DLM ?
jb5ep
Grafter

We can't manually lower it, but I suspect that we can request BT to do so if the process is anything like it is on IPStream Max.
I'd give it the weekend before trying to do so first to see if it stabilises itself.

No change over the weekend. I'll raise a ticket. And bonus points for anyone who can interpret the data on attached DMT tool screenshot of my connection!
Update: ticket 28820088 raised.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I can interpret it easily enough.  Wink
Target SNRM still at 18dB so many fewer bits per tone than "normal".
Other than that nothing is blatantly wrong.
jb5ep
Grafter

Well..here's an update 3 weeks after posting about these problems... After one of the guys is this thread spotted that my SNR margin was very high (18db), i did a couple of things:

• Checked the ADSLnation faceplate i'd fitted - and found a slightly loose Blue wire (not ring wire), which i tightened

• Removed a RCD circuit breaker device that was plugged into a mains socket right next to the faceplate.(not sure if this was a root cause of the high SNR or not, though)

After doing that, i saw the SNR margin drop over a couple of weeks - down to 15, then 9, then 7, down to what it is now (around 5db). Result? Sync speed is up from 4500kps to 7624kps, which gives me an IP profile of 6500kbps - which considering i was getting 1500- 2000kbps pre-ADSL2+, is pretty awesome. It's also around 1000kbps better than that predicted on the Kitz Max Speed Calculator (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php)., given a 47db attenuation.
Once that SNR margin was sorted, things (and maybe i'll regret speaking too soon!) worked pretty much as the experts in this forum describe 21CN should behave. SNR margin was automatically droppped about every 3 days, subsequent resyncs were matched by the IP profile every few days (depending on the % increase in sync speed), and the plusnet profile followed about a day behind. And (touch wood) - things seems stable.
It's taken 2 months, - but i'm finally impressed with 21CN  Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thanks for that most useful feedback, excellent results you've achieved by making the changes.
Is the DLM changing the target SNR margin in the early hours of the morning? I'm wondering if your downstream target SNR margin is now 3dB (rising during daylight hours to the 5dB you mentioned). That would explain getting a sync speed higher than Kitz's checker estimates (based on 6dB).
David
David
jb5ep
Grafter

Ah, yes maybe that is the case. I don't know when the SNR margin is being changed - but it does drop down to 3.5-4 in the evening. Re-syncs happen at around 08:30 (i know this, as i get emails from PN telling me my VOIP product has gone offline).
Cheers,
Jon