cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max vs. Current sync rates - advice needed

jb5ep
Grafter

Max vs. Current sync rates - advice needed

So...after being on the 21CN trial for around 4 weeks, things have stabilised quite a bit (although i did remove the ringwire and replace the faceplate half way through that, to help).
However, when i look my my router stats (DGTeam firmware on a DGN2000), it looks like the Maximum speed possible is pretty high (around 9000kps) - whilst what i'm syncing at is considerably less than that (the router always seems to sync at bang on 4544kps). This happens consistently whenever resyncing (which isn't very often). Screenshot from the DGTeam adsl driver info page:

Are things ever slightly to settle down themselves, to the point where the sync increases from 4544kps? Would lowering the SNR help things?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks!
Jon
22 REPLIES 22
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Max vs. Current sync rates - advice needed

It looks like your target SNRM is set at 18dB which is EXTREMELY high!
Anything likely to have caused that?
(it could take forever to reduce)
jb5ep
Grafter

Pre 21CN trial, i think it used to hover around 14.  Once i was on the trial, it never synced sufficiently well to use ADSL2+, so i replaced the faceplate and removed the ring wire. My BRAS profile speed and sync speeds then jumped very high (BRAS from 2.5mb to 4mb). However, at the same time, the SNR seemed to edge up to where it is now.
Can it be manually lowered?
Cheers
Jon
http://www.groovemedia.co.uk/temp/adsl.gif
scootie
Grafter

jd5ep you can click additional options to add a picture when replying
(the router always seems to sync at bang on 4544kps).

have read here. i have the same sync speed spot on
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76302.0.html
In my case the DLM droped my snr margin down from 15db to 9db on its own but you could all was test the stability options out
see here
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76099.0.html
scootie
Grafter

also putting your atten into this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php gives a max sync of 6816 i would'nt pay that much attention to the routers max rate calc's
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: jb5ep
Can it be manually lowered?

Haven't you got DGTeam firmware on your router? If so, yes, you have the means to do it yourself (within limits).
scootie
Grafter

sauce i dont think any snr tweakers are going to be able to get a resonable snr margin from a starting point of 18db
HPsauce
Pro

That's why I said "within limits". Not sure about the ADSL2+ trial either and if you even can.
Worth trying though.  Wink
jb5ep
Grafter

Thanks for this guys (i'm assuming you're guys  Wink )
Worth trying though.

Just tried a few options on the SNR tweak, in the DGTeam f/w, form 50% up to 200% and it didn't make any difference to the sync speeds or SNR. Just out of interest, i also tried forcing the modulation to ADSL2 (rather than 2+) and the sync speeds and SNR remained exactly the same as for ADSL2+.
Anyways -
looks like your target SNRM is set at 18dB which is EXTREMELY high!

Can PN/BT manually lower it, or do you think i'm stuck with this level of performance?
Cheers
Jon
scootie
Grafter

form 50% up to 200%

to lower your snr margin on tweakers you need to be going lower than 100%
above 100% is increasing your snr margin
as you can see <a href="http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76302.0.html">here</a>  i manged to play with my snr to make it go upwards to force a lower sync that was using this app http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv8.htm . i havent tried lowering my snr margin since my line got this stuck sync rate crazyness tho
James
Grafter

We can't manually lower it, but I suspect that we can request BT to do so if the process is anything like it is on IPStream Max.
I'd give it the weekend before trying to do so first to see if it stabilises itself.
jb5ep
Grafter

I'd give it the weekend before trying to do so first to see if it stabilises itself.

Will do - although it's been like this for about 2 weeks, so i'm not anticipating anything to change!
Cheers
Jon
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: jb5ep
it's been like this for about 2 weeks

Do you mean it's 2 weeks since you last did anything to "disturb" the line and that may have contributed to a high SNRM?
If so, be prepared for at least another 2 weeks before anything changes.  Sad
The normal logic on target SNRM requires a whole month of stability before making a change, which will only be 3dB anyway.
So to go from 18dB to a "normal" 6dB would take 4 months of complete stability.  Cry
James
Grafter

It's a bit different on ADSL2+ HP.
HPsauce
Pro

Glad to hear it. Is the process published anywhere, or can you describe it?