Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max speed not very good

MikeyM
Grafter

Max speed not very good

I moved from Sky to Plusnet last year.
The broadband works fine but I have a couple of issues which I have put up with but now feel I would like to know if I can do anything about them.
With Sky I got a connection speed of 4400
With Plusnet using the Thomson router it is 2784/536
I know Sky use LLU but I am wanting to try and understand the reason for the difference.
I can use my old sky router and tweak the target SNR and get the connection of 4000/912 and after a few days the IP profile to match but then if the router gets turned off or I go away for a few days then I have to reset the SNR again and wait for the IP profile to catch up.
What I want to understand is how my SNR is forced high by BT whereas with SKY it never ever had any dropouts on a SNR of 5.
I believe my target SNR at the moment is 9db or maybe even 12db.
I am a bit frustrated as I dont realy want to have to use a Sky router and tweak the SNR, I just want to the use the router Plusnet gave me and get the speeds I know I  can get.
I am on ADSL2+ on a 21CN exchange but do not seem to be getting any benefit from it.
I am tempted to go back to Sky but I don't really want to.
There is no real point in raising a ticket before anyone says that as I have no fault with my broadband , just a poorer service than I got before.
Hope someone can maybe help.
2 REPLIES 2
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: Max speed not very good

There is no real point in raising a ticket before anyone says that as I have no fault with my broadband , just a poorer service than I got before.
Hope someone can maybe help.

Some folk blame it on the BT DLM system in the exchange.
MikeyM
Grafter

Re: Max speed not very good

Looks like that is the issue.
Looks like I may have to go to a LLU provider to get the speed I know I can, seems pretty poor really.