Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max ADSL, PAYG and BBYW

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Max ADSL, PAYG and BBYW

I'm on a fixed 2MBps line speed on PAYG (Speed test regularly returns around 1.89 mbps).
My usage is creeping up all the time so my 4 GB per month limit will inevitably become inadequate. I really don't want to suffer the slow speeds of traffic shaping and that is what is keeping me on PAYG.
I then thought .... , if I went for up to 8 MBs with line showing Noise at 25Db and Atten of 40  I guessed at  getting a stable rate of between  3-4 Mbps - any degraded service through traffic shaping would probably see me maintaining adequate speed of around 1.5mbps.
Is my logic flawed? I'd be grateful for a view.
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Max ADSL, PAYG and BBYW

Depending on what you use your connection for you might find the page linked below useful. It gives information on the expected speeds for each BBYW account. (BBYW Pro has no rate limits or management applied before the 10GB allowance).
BBYW Speeds
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

It's flawed but in a good way Smiley
With those line stats I would expect you to see speeds in the region of 5-6Mbps, exchange contention permitting.
You should get line rate on HTTP traffic.  It is just specific forms of traffic that would experience a different quality of service, namely P2P and Usenet traffic.
As per this page you will be able to see expected speeds across our Product Range, which I hope will give you a better understand of the product.  I also really think it will be a lot better than you currently expect it to be.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm really sceptical about this - why do you think many posts say that BBYW is sluggish compared to PAYG then?
James
Grafter

Nothing wrong with scepticism Smiley
Those posts will not be referring to "gold" traffic such as email and HTTP.  As I mentioned above, the main differences are related to P2P and Usenet.
It will depend entirely on what you use your connection for.