Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive PING and slow speed

guymark
Hooked

Massive PING and slow speed

Hello.

For the last couple of weeks, my Ping has varied from (typically) a few millisecond right through to around 30 seconds or longer.

When it DOES finally connect, download speed can be either excellent or very slow - as in you wait for a page to finally finish loading.

This is on a wired PC, wired laptop, WifI tablet and Wifi android. ALL are experiencing the same problems.

Telephone line is superbly silent (once dial tone cancelled by pressing a digit) - and there is ONE high end microfilter (and yep I have tried switching it) and one phone.

Issue remains even if phone is physically disconneted.

The dropwire from the pole is new (strung up about 3 years ago) and the problem is identical with both the plusnet supplied router and the preferred BT HH4 router (better WiFi).

So, different ADSL routers, different filters, super quiet phone line, wiring in excellent condition.

The router has no problem in locking a fast and solid 17+ Meg connection up and a smidge over 1Meg down. I really do not think this is a fault at my end.

I am from Wellingborough (Northamptonshire) if that helps to see if there are any known issues with other folks connections in the area.

Having reset (and replaced) routers, used both wired and wireless on a range of different PCs (also rebooted), I am tempted to think the fault is not at my end. Alas having twice been cut off after queuing for around 30 minutes, I thought I would try on here as phone support seem to be having little issues of their own Smiley

From a quick glance at latest topics, it would seem that there is a bit of a theme going on.

3 REPLIES 3
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Massive PING and slow speed

Hi @guymark

Sorry for the problems with your internet connection and for the inconvenience that this has caused. I've replied to your other post here.

@Gandalf has also let me know that he's carried out some further tests on your line and has found a potential issue with the SNR margin being set too low for the length of your line so he's adjusted this to try and stabilise the connection. Please monitor your connection over the next few days and let us know if you're still experiencing problems.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
guymark
Hooked

Thank you for the update.

So far the connection seems to be holding up fine - will keep you posted if there is any change Smiley

Thank you again for a fast response!

Kind Regards

Mark

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It has indeed, I've just updated your other recent post. 

Glad to see that's sorted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team