Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Market A exhange being reclassified as a low cost area

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Market A exhange being reclassified as a low cost area

I'm connected to a Market A exchange (Netherend, SSNRD) - BT is the only provider there, and that isn't going to change ever - so it has never been a Plusnet low cost area.

However, I've received an e-mail from Plusnet to say that from the end of May it will be classed as a low-cost area, and that my bill will be reduced accordingly!

Have Plusnet changed their policy on high/low cost areas? My exchange was upgraded from ADSL Max to ADSL2+ last year, but it is still definitely a Market A exchange. I wonder whether they are scrapping the high cost areas everywhere, or whether there is something special about my exchange?

11 REPLIES 11
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Market A exhange being reclassified as a low cost area

There could be some competition coming along the way ( or already there) you could see if providers such as Talk Talk, or Sky offer their services you could even find that virgin media could be digging up your local area ( theyve dug up a tiny rural village not far from me  )

Also is there any new building work, new estates etc going up in your area?

corringham
Seasoned Champion

No, there's no developments in the area. The exchange only serves 750 lines, and two thirds have FTTC, the remainder being EO lines. The exchange is too small (capacity and physically) for any LLU providers, and there is nothing else such as Virgin available. TalkTalk, Sky, Vodafone etc. all refuse to provide any broadband at all.

Those of us with EO lines will be getting FTTP from Gigaclear at some point in the future (a year or so?) through the Fastershire BDUK scheme.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I’m looking into this and I’ll post back when I know more. Likely to be next week.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for waiting @corringham

I've found out that the exchange classifications are changing industry-wide for certain areas. I believe this should happen within the next month or so, but I'm unsure as to when records will be updated on DSL Checker.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
corringham
Seasoned Champion

Thanks for the update Gandalf.

Do you know whether the Market A/B classifications are being replaced, or are they just moving some exchanges from Market A to market B?

I can't think what would have changed for my exchange to justify the change, but I'm not going to complain if my costs go down as a result.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems.

From my understanding of this, it should be the latter, that your exchange will be low-cost Market B.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
geekonthepc
Hooked

I’ve just had the same notification myself which’ll mean my bill is dropping by quite a chunk from the end of May - good news. 

Does this mean my exchange is being reclassified as a Market B? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep, that's right.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
geekonthepc
Hooked

Thanks Gandalf - that’s great news!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Gandalf

My next door neighbour has had this price cut email but I haven't heard anything yet. To be fair I haven't received the £1 increase email either. Are these being slowly distributed together? I'm not bothered about the price increase one but the other would cure a long running sore!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Gandalf

Sorry to bother you. The email arrived one hour ago, I should have checked before posting.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'